The Student Room Group

Guess who's back? The IRA. The IRA are back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47985469

Looks like the 'New IRA', who were supposedly behind the poorly made explosives dotted around London a few weeks ago, are on the way to establishing violence we thought had been left behind in the Good Friday Agreement. They've already claimed their first victim, as reports are suggesting, with the New IRA being responsible for the killing of a reporter in Londonderry.

What do you make of this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by That'sGreat

Looks like the 'New IRA', who were supposedly behind the poorly made explosives dotted around London a few weeks ago, are on the way to establishing violence we thought had been left behind in the Good Friday Agreement. They've already claimed their first victim, as reports are suggesting, with the New IRA being responsible for the killing of a reporter in Londonderry.

The violence didn't stop with the Good Friday Agreement. For starters, look up Holy Cross School dispute, Adrian Ismay and Ronan Kerr. And there has been sectarian trouble on a regular basis that hasn't made the news.
The real IRA, who are a bit shady?
Reply 3
30 nobheads with an axe to grind.
Reply 4
This'll only get worse with Brexit.

Absolutely horrendous. Incredibly stupid thing to do as well, not sure how that was supposed to impress anyone. The New Ira really has nothing to offer anyone.
Original post by Notoriety
The real IRA, who are a bit shady?

Not just back, but back again.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Not just back, but back again.

Tell a friend.
In every country, there's always a few bad apples with a taste for violent criminality and illegal weapons.
The GFA was not a magic wand with the power to make all terrorist criminals cease and disappear into thin air.
Since 1998, a variety of dissident republican groups making grandiose claims of being successors of the ira have reared their ugly heads: continuity ira, real ira, onh and now this "new ira" bunch.

Sadly in northern ireland, decades of turning a blind eye to vicious sectarianism and an appalling failure to enforce basic criminal laws resulted in a widely held presumption that paramilitary criminals on both sides were above the law
Too many scumbags were never even arrested for their violent crime sprees between 1970-98.
Or have been issued with comfort letters making it almost impossible to ever prosecute them without confessions or new evidence from fellow terrorist scumbags.
May our brave ulster boys wipe the floor with these scum.
As if ISIS were not the only terror group to deal with, now the IRA is another bunch of terrorists we have to deal with. We already have problems with terrorism, give us a break already
Various IRA off-shoots have been around for ages. The same with loyalist paramilitaries. It's not a new situation.
Reply 13
Original post by The RAR
As if ISIS were not the only terror group to deal with, now the IRA is another bunch of terrorists we have to deal with. We already have problems with terrorism, give us a break already

The media often focus on the IRA, but if they're back then loyalist paramilitaries will be too.

I said this would happen. We were united within Europe. We most definitely aren't now.
I have grown up in Scotland so obviously heard about the IRA quite a lot. Usually because of Celtic fans singing about them. I don't actually know who they are/were though and their significance though as I have never lived in Glasgow. Could someone explain for me in simple terms who they are? I've tried googling them but there's a lot of information and I still don't really understand.
Original post by katf
The media often focus on the IRA, but if they're back then loyalist paramilitaries will be too.

I said this would happen. We were united within Europe. We most definitely aren't now.

Lol what are you talking about 'united within Europe'. The IRA haven't started up again because of Brexit
As bad as the IRA are we need to stop thinking Britain is innocent in all of this. And no one over here is going to be talking about Loyalist terrorism, which is still active.
Original post by Alexty28
As bad as the IRA are we need to stop thinking Britain is innocent in all of this. And no one over here is going to be talking about Loyalist terrorism, which is still active.

Honestly, haven't seen any loyalist terrorism
Reply 18
Lol what are you talking about 'united within Europe'. The IRA haven't started up again because of Brexit

The North and South of Ireland. Within Europe, there are no borders. If Britain leaves, by nature there will be a border. Republicans want a united Ireland, and many will fight to the death for it. Border posts and checkpoints will become target practice.

This has only started happening since Brexit. The rhetoric from Brexiteers and the total disregard for the Irish and the views of people who would be most affected by the Border.

I speak as an Irish citizen living in England. Some of my family died in the Troubles.
Original post by katf
The North and South of Ireland. Within Europe, there are no borders. If Britain leaves, by nature there will be a border. Republicans want a united Ireland, and many will fight to the death for it. Border posts and checkpoints will become target practice.

This has only started happening since Brexit. The rhetoric from Brexiteers and the total disregard for the Irish and the views of people who would be most affected by the Border.

I speak as an Irish citizen living in England. Some of my family died in the Troubles.

There were troubles before Brexit even happened, as users have pointed out, the violence never really stopped. The idea is that there will be no hard border in the case of Brexit, so your point is invalid.

This has little to do with Brexit, face it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending