17starr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I really want my own phone contract that will include the phone too however I'm 17 so would need someone to take it out in on their name but charge it to my account. I’ve tried this and my parents and sister both have really poor credit so I’m unsure how I can do this
gd99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think your best option may be to find a second hand phone you like which will keep its value well enough for up to a year, and have a pay monthly rolling sim-only contract (where you pay each month, but can cancel any time as it isn’t a contract so you don’t need to be 18), then sell the phone and switch to the one you want once you’re 18.
Last edited by gd99; 2 years ago
17starr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It’s mainly for the phone though you see, my current IPhone is barely getting by I saw on mazuma I caouf get one on finance but through PayPal credit and you have to be 18 to use that but I’ve not tried someone else getting it in my name yet
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 17starr)
It’s mainly for the phone though you see, my current IPhone is barely getting by I saw on mazuma I caouf get one on finance but through PayPal credit and you have to be 18 to use that but I’ve not tried someone else getting it in my name yet
This isn't the answer you're going to want to hear, but if yourey not old enough to get a phone on contract/finance, and none of your immediate family are in a position to do it for you, you shouldn't get a phone on finance. Asking other people to do it for you can backfire horribly on either you or them, especially since you're not old enough to do it yourself. Get one of the many, many great Android phones that are available for a third of the cost of an iPhone X even before you add on any interest, wait it out for a year until you turn 18, then you can make your own decisions. My recommendations for around £250 are the Xiaomi Pocophone and the Samsung Galaxy A50.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 17starr)
Save up some money and buy a phone outright that you can afford instead. If you can't afford an iPhone X, get a cheaper iPhone (still good phones, will be half the price) or an Android (great phones for under £200 these days).

Also, contracts themselves are nothing special, you can get good deals with prepaid sims these days anyway. I haven't been on a contract for years now and it's much better not being tied into something.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have your parents tried a sim only contract?

You're honestly much better off with a sim only contract and outright buying a phone if you can. It's a more expensive initial investment but it's cheaper in the long run. If a phone is a bit pricey for you, might I suggest a Wileyfox Swift 2 to tide you over until you can afford something else? It's about £100 and has a lot of the bells and whistles you'd find on a flagship phone (fingerprint sensor, NFC, etc...). Alternatively, you could buy a second-hand phone, I really liked my Sony Xperia Z1, it's a bit old these days but it was a flagship phone back in its day so it isn't exactly lacking, the battery life was also among the best I've seen, it easily rivalled some of the 'dumbphones' I've had in the past in that area.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (140)
54.47%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (35)
13.62%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (29)
11.28%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (24)
9.34%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
6.23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
5.06%

Watched Threads