The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry 08 – Grade boundaries

Hi all,

There has been a lot of discussion about the grade boundaries, particularly at the upper end, for the recent IGCSE exams.

It seems agreed that for biology and physics, 80-82% will be an A*, and 70-72% will be an A.

However, it seems that nothing much has been said about the chemistry boundaries. Does anybody have a good estimate compared to previous years? It’s certainly the subject we are most worried about at our school.

Thanks.
Reply 1
this isn't double award is it cos they seem really high! i would expect it to be inthe60s for an A! i thought the biology was really hard
Reply 2
The biology and chemistry were quite hard - personally I found physics OK, as did many other people.

So, does anybody have a good guess for the minimum A* %?
Who cares? We have done it already and we can't change it :smile:
I am hearing chem will be 77-79%
Reply 4
RoadWarrior
Who cares? We have done it already and we can't change it :smile:
I am hearing chem will be 77-79%

do u mean for an A*? coz that is really low, and i have a chance then :biggrin:
Reply 5
how are these predicted boundaries worked out? I think chemistry will be lower than the other two given how my school seems to have done overall
well we have been told
biology - 73-75%
physics - 80-84%
chemistry - 85-88%
because physics was ok, chemistry was really quite easy and biology was totally out of order (no biology actually needed for the paper? nearly all of it was geography type questions except the last one about osmoregulation)

presumably A boundaries will be 10% lower than A* boundaries..
fieryiceissweet
well we have been told
biology - 73-75%
physics - 80-84%
chemistry - 85-88%
because physics was ok, chemistry was really quite easy and biology was totally out of order (no biology actually needed for the paper? nearly all of it was geography type questions except the last one about osmoregulation)

I very much doubt chem will be that high and bio that low...
Ditto ^
Reply 9
fieryiceissweet
well we have been told
biology - 73-75%
physics - 80-84%
chemistry - 85-88%

From what I’ve read, heard and thought myself, those predictions are way out.

Biology and physics are predicted to be around 79-83% and chemistry should be lower. I certainly hope chemistry will be as low as 75% which will give me a chance to get an A*.
Reply 10
i doubt 85-88% would be an A* for chemistry
well biology i was told by a chief examiner who also writes A level biology papers.
chemistry we were told it would be slightly higher than usual (usual being 85%) because it had little understanding required
physics i was told by our teacher that it was about the same as usual so should be just over 80%.
out of the three i trust the biology estimate most, and if anything physics the least.
chemistry was really not hard this year, hardly anyone at my school found it hard. whereas biology nearly everyone struggled, perhaps that was because we are taught more of the biological detail rather than the pollution/environment stuff which the exam was based on
Gren1TI
From what I’ve read, heard and thought myself, those predictions are way out.

Biology and physics are predicted to be around 79-83% and chemistry should be lower. I certainly hope chemistry will be as low as 75% which will give me a chance to get an A*.

I dont mean this harshly, but it sounds to me like youre saying chemistry will be lower because you found it more difficult and want it to be lower so you get an A*, whereas im only quoting what teachers told us not my opinion (personally i hope biology will be as low as 75% but i said what i was told)
Reply 13
I think there's abit of confusion here. I think some people are talking about double award and others triple and remember the grade boundaries are different depending on if you do paper 3 or coursework.

Latest