The Student Room Group

How do you feel about Rugby shirts, waistcoats, white socks and Timberlands on guys?

How do you feel about Rugby shirts, waistcoats, white socks and Timberlands on guys?

I own all of these and I will keep wearing them because it's important to wear what makes you feel happy and you feel comfortable with. But there are also times when you need to play safe (like on a first date) so I'll be grateful for your opinion of these clothes :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I can see myself feeling a guy in a rugby shirt or white socks but tbh if the girl you're on a date with is anything like me, they probably don't know exactly what they want in a guy physically so I would say that it isn't what you wear, it's HOW you wear it :smile:
I mean I personally love all of those items but when you say 'playing it safe on a date' it depends on other factors such as where you go for the date and how well you know your date. I would say play it smart casual, so if your waistcoat is formal maybe skip it for the first date as you wouldn't want to act as if you're trying too hard. White socks are always usually a good choice for most things I think? (I don't really pay attention to socks to be fair!)

If you're going somewhere reasonably expensive or 'fancy' then maybe avoid the rugby shirt and opt for something like a nice t shirt or shirt. If you're just going out and walking around a park or something more 'casual' then sure, go for the rugby shirt if you feel its right!

Ultimately as you say, wear something you feel comfortable in, although theres no harm adjusting your style depending on the situation. If they really don't like your style and that affects your date tremendously then they aren't cut out for you anyways. Hope this helps?
Reply 3
thanks so much! I would give you rep if it could be done anonymously
Original post by greenteascratchy
I mean I personally love all of those items but when you say 'playing it safe on a date' it depends on other factors such as where you go for the date and how well you know your date. I would say play it smart casual, so if your waistcoat is formal maybe skip it for the first date as you wouldn't want to act as if you're trying too hard. White socks are always usually a good choice for most things I think? (I don't really pay attention to socks to be fair!)

If you're going somewhere reasonably expensive or 'fancy' then maybe avoid the rugby shirt and opt for something like a nice t shirt or shirt. If you're just going out and walking around a park or something more 'casual' then sure, go for the rugby shirt if you feel its right!

Ultimately as you say, wear something you feel comfortable in, although theres no harm adjusting your style depending on the situation. If they really don't like your style and that affects your date tremendously then they aren't cut out for you anyways. Hope this helps?
Reply 4
yo what? all the items are sick
literally LOVE timberlands on guys
and whats wrong with white socks/ rugby shirts???
idk what a waistcoat is tho lmfao
oopS
Original post by Anonymous

I own all of these and I will keep wearing them because it's important to wear what makes you feel happy and you feel comfortable with. But there are also times when you need to play safe (like on a first date) so I'll be grateful for your opinion of these clothes :smile:

They are all fine. Not sure about a rugby shirt with a waistcoat together though
Reply 6
i didn't mean them all together :smile: all separate !
Original post by girl_in_black
They are all fine. Not sure about a rugby shirt with a waistcoat together though
i didn't mean them all together :smile: all separate !

Separate is totally fine :smile:
thanks so much! I would give you rep if it could be done anonymously

Thanks so much! I'm so happy you found it somewhat useful :smile:
I tend not to notice the socks a date is wearing. :tongue:
Don't like waistcoats, too formal and can indicate a traditionalist snob or eccentric.
Rugby shirts and timberlands are fine.
Not sure if rugby shirts and waistcoats are compatible together.
Was once in a bar wearing white socks when some blonde bimbo pointed and sneered just look at the colour of your socks! Peered into her pram to see a black baby. Talk about having to bite your lip...

Sounds like a dreadful idea. If you're going to wear a waistcoat, wear it with a shirt, pants, and proper shoes. If you're going to wear a rugby shirt, white socks, and Timberlands, don't wear a waistcoat.

Bless me, what do they teach them at these schools?
Original post by Tootles
Sounds like a dreadful idea. If you're going to wear a waistcoat, wear it with a shirt, pants, and proper shoes. If you're going to wear a rugby shirt, white socks, and Timberlands, don't wear a waistcoat.

Original post by londonmyst
I tend not to notice the socks a date is wearing. :tongue:
Don't like waistcoats, too formal and can indicate a traditionalist snob or eccentric.
Rugby shirts and timberlands are fine.
Not sure if rugby shirts and waistcoats are compatible together.

ahhh! i didn't imply i should wear them all together!!! i just meant separately :frown:
Original post by Tootles

and pants?? are you American???
ahhh! i didn't imply i should wear them all together!!! i just meant separately :frown:

You absolutely did imply you would wear them together.

@londonmyst waistcoats are cool. I wear waistcoats in winter instead of jumpers.
Original post by Vinny C
Was once in a bar wearing white socks when some blonde bimbo pointed and sneered just look at the colour of your socks! Peered into her pram to see a black baby. Talk about having to bite your lip...

A pram and baby in a bar?
Could have cost them their alcohol licence.
and pants?? are you American???

"Pants" is an acceptable alternative to "trousers" in British English, and has been for centuries.

Don't try to correct my English. Especially when you don't capitalize initial letters in sentences and think the use of multiple question marks is acceptable.
Original post by londonmyst
A pram and baby in a bar?
Could have cost them their alcohol licence.

Only if it was after 9pm.
Original post by Tootles
Only if it was after 9pm.

Exactly... it was 3pm.
Original post by Tootles
"Pants" is an acceptable alternative to "trousers" in British English, and has been for centuries.

Don't try to correct my English. Especially when you don't capitalize initial letters in sentences and think the use of multiple question marks is acceptable.

Total nonsense… in UK English 'pants' has always implied 'underpants'. You knowledge of language seems as flimsy as your knowledge of the licensing laws.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply