The Student Room Group

hard repulsion question

I'm having a hard time deciphering how i would answer this question since I've never seen a question like this that has a transition metal, so can i get some help please.

im guesiing cl would bond 4 times
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by jeriu
I'm having a hard time deciphering how i would answer this question since I've never seen a question like this that has a transition metal, so can i get some help please.

What actually is the Q you're struggle with?
Reply 2
HWLB ME
Reply 4
I think you are just expected to learn the shapes of transition metal complex ions.

I've attached a picture out of my revision guide it tells you all you really need to know.

The only two exceptions are Pt and Ni which will form a square planar
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jeriu

im guessing youre doing AS? if youve done A2, it follows the exact same principle as e.g. [CuCl4]2- which has a tetrahedral structure. Hence its tetrahedral, and has a bond angle of 109.5 degrees. this is because rhodium is a transition metal and transition metals (generally) follow certain characteristics, such as coloured complexes, specific shapes, variable oxidation states and an incomplete d sub shell.
(whilst it could be square planar as well bc of the fact that it does also have 4 coordinate bonding pairs, this is only seen at A2 with platinum and the only example of a platinum complex at A2 is cisplatin ( (NH3)2PtCl2 ) which bears less similarity to [RhCl4]2- compared to [CuCl4]2- )
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jeriu

a good rule of thumb for A-level chemistry and transition metals: unless not specified or told that it contains no lone pairs of electrons on the central metal ion, and its a metal ion with 4 ligands, then its a tetrahedral, the latter being something like Cis-platin or trans-platin.
Original post by jeriu

Since no other info is given about it, it is expected from you to associate four bonds with the tetrahedral shape and 109.5 degree bond angle.
remember you guys, the planar sqaure shape arises when more than 1 ligand is present (ammonia and Cl- in cisplatin). all others are tetrahedral bond angle 109.5°

Quick Reply

Latest