hard repulsion question Watch

jeriu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm having a hard time deciphering how i would answer this question since I've never seen a question like this that has a transition metal, so can i get some help please.

im guesiing cl would bond 4 times
Attached files
Last edited by jeriu; 4 weeks ago
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jeriu)
I'm having a hard time deciphering how i would answer this question since I've never seen a question like this that has a transition metal, so can i get some help please.

What actually is the Q you're struggle with?
jeriu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
HWLB ME
Personinsertname
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4773094
Ezooner
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you are just expected to learn the shapes of transition metal complex ions.

I've attached a picture out of my revision guide it tells you all you really need to know.

The only two exceptions are Pt and Ni which will form a square planar
Attached files
Last edited by Ezooner; 4 weeks ago
kursk1896
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jeriu)

im guessing youre doing AS? if youve done A2, it follows the exact same principle as e.g. [CuCl4]2- which has a tetrahedral structure. Hence its tetrahedral, and has a bond angle of 109.5 degrees. this is because rhodium is a transition metal and transition metals (generally) follow certain characteristics, such as coloured complexes, specific shapes, variable oxidation states and an incomplete d sub shell.
(whilst it could be square planar as well bc of the fact that it does also have 4 coordinate bonding pairs, this is only seen at A2 with platinum and the only example of a platinum complex at A2 is cisplatin ( (NH3)2PtCl2 ) which bears less similarity to [RhCl4]2- compared to [CuCl4]2- )
Last edited by kursk1896; 3 weeks ago
alstudent_2019
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jeriu)

a good rule of thumb for A-level chemistry and transition metals: unless not specified or told that it contains no lone pairs of electrons on the central metal ion, and its a metal ion with 4 ligands, then its a tetrahedral, the latter being something like Cis-platin or trans-platin.
CuriosityYay
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jeriu)

Since no other info is given about it, it is expected from you to associate four bonds with the tetrahedral shape and 109.5 degree bond angle.
Jaguar1200
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
remember you guys, the planar sqaure shape arises when more than 1 ligand is present (ammonia and Cl- in cisplatin). all others are tetrahedral bond angle 109.5°
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?