Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

CIE Chemistry A-Level, Paper 42 Nov 17:

Name:  2.gif
Views: 13
Size:  35.5 KB

Why doesn't any Br (or Br + OH) add to both Carbons in that double bond? Any suggestions? Do you think that would be an alternative correct answer?

Thank you
alstudent_2019
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheDoublethinker)
Hi there,

CIE Chemistry A-Level, Paper 42 Nov 17:

Name:  2.gif
Views: 13
Size:  35.5 KB

Why doesn't any Br (or Br + OH) add to both Carbons in that double bond? Any suggestions? Do you think that would be an alternative correct answer?

Thank you
it says electrophillic substitution (assuming thats part of the question) in such case then the mark scheme answer is correct because whats the benzene ring undergoes is electrophillic substitution (-H replaced by :Br-) however the bit u have circled is not electrophillic substition but electrophillic addition.
TheDoublethinker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It is the mark scheme that says Electrophilic substitution. Sorry I think I haven't given enough information on my post.

The original question only says what happens after adding Serotonin + excess Br(aq). No mention to temperature or presence of light. I understand the electrophilic substitution bit. I just don't understand why no Br (or OH since it's aq) is added to the double C=C bond. I'm sure I have seen cyclic chains of carbons undergoing electrophilic addition.

Do you think that would be an alternative correct answer or can you think of any reason why that would NOT be a correct answer?

Thanks again
Last edited by TheDoublethinker; 4 weeks ago
charco
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheDoublethinker)
It is the mark scheme that says Electrophilic substitution. Sorry I think I haven't given enough information on my post.

The original question only says what happens after adding Serotonin + excess Br(aq). No mention to temperature or presence of light. I understand the electrophilic substitution bit. I just don't understand why no Br (or OH since it's aq) is added to the double C=C bond. I'm sure I have seen cyclic chains of carbons undergoing electrophilic addition.

Do you think that would be an alternative correct answer or can you think of any reason why that would NOT be a correct answer?

Thanks again
The issue here is that the pyrrhole ring is aromatic, just like benzene and will not undergo electrophilic addition.

But how you are supposed to know that at A' level is beyond me.

The rules for aromaticity:
The molecule is cyclic (a ring of atoms)
The molecule is planar (all atoms in the molecule lie in the same plane)
The molecule is fully conjugated (p orbitals at every atom in the ring)
The molecule has 4n+2 π electrons (n=0 or any positive integer)
TheDoublethinker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by charco)
The issue here is that the pyrrhole ring is aromatic, just like benzene and will not undergo electrophilic addition.

But how you are supposed to know that at A' level is beyond me.

The rules for aromaticity:
The molecule is cyclic (a ring of atoms)
The molecule is planar (all atoms in the molecule lie in the same plane)
The molecule is fully conjugated (p orbitals at every atom in the ring)
The molecule has 4n+2 π electrons (n=0 or any positive integer)
Thank you very much. And no, I hadn't seen those rules ever before. Not mentioned on my books or syllabus. Just another typical CIE question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise