Can't stand home after starting univeristy

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ever since I started university this year, I can no longer stand being at home over the holidays. I live in a split-parent household, where both parents treat me like a child (probably because I have younger siblings) or just ignore me completely.

I've grown apart from my old friends at home so I feel like I just spend my days in my room doing nothing, being unproductive and speaking to no one.

I honestly don't know what to do - I fall into phases of depression when I go home now, and there's such a contrast between life at home and life at university. At university, I have amazing friends and a boyfriend and I'm the happiest version of myself when I am there.

My boyfriend has such a busy life, and a family that love to spend time with him. He has a younger sister that gets jealous and demands he spend more time with her when him and I speak, making it difficult for us to talk on the phone as much as I would like. So, when I am at home, I feel truly alone. The thought of having to spend more than 4 weeks at home for summer genuinely terrifies me. I have just 10 weeks of university left.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar, or does anyone have any advice?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ever since I started university this year, I can no longer stand being at home over the holidays. I live in a split-parent household, where both parents treat me like a child (probably because I have younger siblings) or just ignore me completely.

I've grown apart from my old friends at home so I feel like I just spend my days in my room doing nothing, being unproductive and speaking to no one.

I honestly don't know what to do - I fall into phases of depression when I go home now, and there's such a contrast between life at home and life at university. At university, I have amazing friends and a boyfriend and I'm the happiest version of myself when I am there.

My boyfriend has such a busy life, and a family that love to spend time with him. He has a younger sister that gets jealous and demands he spend more time with her when him and I speak, making it difficult for us to talk on the phone as much as I would like. So, when I am at home, I feel truly alone. The thought of having to spend more than 4 weeks at home for summer genuinely terrifies me. I have just 10 weeks of university left.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar, or does anyone have any advice?
Try to get a job over the summer so you aren't at home all day. Perhaps you could visit your boyfriend over the summer too?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I sort of understand how you feel.
I was desperately saving to move out during my last two years at school.
I left my parents home right after I finished my a levels.

Does your uni offer the option to stay on campus over the holidays?
Some uni's offer this option to both international students and home students who can't find alternative accommodation for a variety of reasons.
A few of my friends who couldn't stay on campus, spent holidays doing voluntary work abroad or teaching english as a foreign language to children.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (45)
5.89%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.47%
Lack of purpose or motivation (98)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.24%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.63%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (83)
10.86%
Financial worries (51)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (33)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.28%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.14%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.42%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.72%

Watched Threads