Don't want to live at uni but it's the better uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to go to a better university to prove myself that I can do well, however, in doing so I would have to live there an that is something I am not comfortable with.

I feel incompetent and not capable of supporting an independent lifestyle such as cooking and shopping whilst handling my studies.

Either I go to a lesser ranking university or somehow get over these feelings but I don't know how. Is anyone else feeling similarly or have any advice?

Thanks, I need the help
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd go to the better one, there's plenty of life support at uni's. You could take cooking classes on the side or something, although these things sound daunting being independent isn't as hard as you'd think. Do food shopping and whatnot with friends you make, that way you're not dealing with it alone. You're going to have to learn these things in life eventually so why not tackle it now?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I'd go to the better one, there's plenty of life support at uni's. You could take cooking classes on the side or something, although these things sound daunting being independent isn't as hard as you'd think. Do food shopping and whatnot with friends you make, that way you're not dealing with it alone. You're going to have to learn these things in life eventually so why not tackle it now?
But how do you have time for your studies if you're managing all of that?

Plus learning in this way involves others going through the same situation, which could be both a good and bad thing as it could cause conflict and pressure
Cheesybread
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was really nervous, when i went to Uni unsure on how to do a few of those things, but if it's your first year you should not have to compormise. You should just go on Youtube, as they often have helpful guides on what to do if your unsure. You'll find the time. As even if you study straight from 9-6. You still have 5/6 hours before you go to sleep to learn these things
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Plus learning in this way involves others going through the same situation, which could be both a good and bad thing as it could cause conflict and pressure
I mean, you won't be studying 24/7 so you'll definitely have time to whip up a half hour meal. Or find a bunch of oven dishes you can make so you can study whilst it's cooking. There's plenty of websites out there for quick/easy meals to make. BBC GoodFood is usually a good place to start.

And yes but use that to your advantage, take turns cooking eachother meals or invite your newfound friends over for dinner. That way you can have a nice meal and revise together, I'm sure it'll be much appreciated. Me and my friend often cook for eachother and it's a nice little study break.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Your studies leave loads of time for the daily tasks of life and lots more for fun/relaxing. Cooking/shopping/cleaning are not complicated and you'll manage fine. Why not ask uour parents if you can start taking on some responsibilities to practice?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Did you look at unis with catered halls? That would give you some independence without having to cook every meal
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I want to go to a better university to prove myself that I can do well, however, in doing so I would have to live there an that is something I am not comfortable with.

I feel incompetent and not capable of supporting an independent lifestyle such as cooking and shopping whilst handling my studies.

Either I go to a lesser ranking university or somehow get over these feelings but I don't know how. Is anyone else feeling similarly or have any advice?

Thanks, I need the help
As others have suggested, you won't be studying all the time and you'll have plenty of time to cook and clean. It's normal to be nervous for it but start by learning how to cook and budget now and it'll be much easier when you move.
cheesenesia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You'll actually have a boat load of time, don't worry. First year is super relaxed, and doesn't even count towards your degree for the vast majority of courses. Definitely go to the better one, because its better, and because the whole process of living on your own and being thrown out of your comfort zone/friendship groups will really mature you and help you grow as a person. Sounds cliche, but it's true. Totally worth the extra nerves.
Anonymous #1
Thanks for this advice, I keep forgetting that the first year is a recap to get all students up to the same level of understanding so shouldn't take too long. Do you get to meet the people you will live with before you move in at the universities you went to?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.08%
The paper was reasonable (398)
42.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.08%
It was TERRIBLE (151)
16.18%

Watched Threads