University of melbourne of UCL/imperial Watch

Iyzyman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey I'm an international student and I'm wondering which is school is better for compsci. Furthermore, is it more expensive to study in the uk than Australia?
HoldThisL
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
imperial is the best, UCL is good too. i don't know about melbourne but i definitely suspect those two will be better

international fees for cs at imperial/UCL will be high (£20k+). i'm sure you'll know about fees in your own country

the cost of living for students at imperial/UCL is also very high, easily £7k a year or more
Iyzyman
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
imperial is the best, UCL is good too. i don't know about melbourne but i definitely suspect those two will be better

international fees for cs at imperial/UCL will be high (£20k+). i'm sure you'll know about fees in your own country

the cost of living for students at imperial/UCL is also very high, easily £7k a year or more
Just 7k?from what I've check from the uni's site it says around 12k tho
HoldThisL
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Iyzyman)
Just 7k?from what I've check from the uni's site it says around 12k tho
yes i'm sure you're right, i said "easily £7k" to imply that that would be the absolute minimum.
Iyzyman
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
yes i'm sure you're right, i said "easily £7k" to imply that that would be the absolute minimum.
Tqs
artful_lounger
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Melb is probably about the same as UCL (perhaps a touch less international "prestige" although that isn't so important in STEM fields necessarily). Imperial is realistically considered to be stronger than UCL (and hence probably Melb as well).

You'll need to look on their websites for fee levels. Rent and transport is probably cheaper in Melbourne, but goods (groceries, electricals, clothing etc) are likely to be more expensive. Not too sure about utilities; I think they tend to skew to the more expensive side in Aus generally. Overall I expect Melbourne will have a lower cost of living than London though, unless you like shopping for personal items or going out to eat/drink very frequently.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 weeks ago
Iyzyman
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Melb is probably about the same as UCL (perhaps a touch less international "prestige" although that isn't so important in STEM fields necessarily). Imperial is realistically considered to be stronger than UCL (and hence Melb as well).

You'll need to look on their websites for fee levels. Rent and transport is probably cheaper in Melbourne, but goods (groceries, electricals, clothing etc) are likely to be more expensive. Not too sure about utilities; I think they tend to skew to the more expensive side in Aus generally. Overall I expect Melbourne will have a lower cost of living than London though, unless you like shopping for personal items or going out to eat/drink very frequently.
Tqs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.08%
The paper was reasonable (398)
42.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.08%
It was TERRIBLE (151)
16.18%

Watched Threads