Hooke's Law Dilemma Watch

AshKetchum1206
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As everyone knows that He stated, "The extension is directly proportional to the force applied [on the spring]".

However, I encountered a question given by my teacher showing a x-force, y-extension graph and has several coordinates labelled.
This is confusing me though, because the question asks "At which point on this graph does the extension stop being proportional to the force?"

Moreover, after (5,5), the line started to curve, going almost parabolic.

Thus, if the ext dp to N, how is it realistically possible for it to bend?

I am so stuck so can someone please guide me.

Thanks in advance!
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AshKetchum1206)
As everyone knows that He stated, "The extension is directly proportional to the force applied [on the spring]".

However, I encountered a question given by my teacher showing a x-force, y-extension graph and has several coordinates labelled.
This is confusing me though, because the question asks "At which point on this graph does the extension stop being proportional to the force?"

Moreover, after (5,5), the line started to curve, going almost parabolic.

Thus, if the ext dp to N, how is it realistically possible for it to bend?

I am so stuck so can someone please guide me.

Thanks in advance!
Hooke's Law is only obeyed until a point on the graph called the limit of proportionality. Beyond this point, the extension of the specimen is no longer directly proportional to the applied force and the graph becomes curved.

So in the context of your question, it sounds like the limit of proportionality would have coordinates somewhere close to (5,5) so beyond this point the extension is not proportional to the force.
AshKetchum1206
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Oh! Thanks for the support!
(Original post by Anonymouspsych)
Hooke's Law is only obeyed until a point on the graph called the limit of proportionality. Beyond this point, the extension of the specimen is no longer directly proportional to the applied force and the graph becomes curved.

So in the context of your question, it sounds like the limit of proportionality would have coordinates somewhere close to (5,5) so beyond this point the extension is not proportional to the force.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (180)
22.9%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.56%
Not feeling great about that exam... (146)
18.58%
It was TERRIBLE (94)
11.96%

Watched Threads