The Student Room Group

Is anyone else feeling the same ? Dissertation overwhelm...

So my dissertation is due in 2 weeks today and I have another three essays due in 3 weeks, all my dissertation and essays are written and just need extensive editing and rewording...

But I can't help but feel like I must study and work on them all hours of everyday because its bad if I don't, which results in me feeling very overwhelmed of having to study for hours a day and then when I have to stop because I feel tired I feel even more overwhelmed and feel like i'm behind and that I should be doing so much more work...

Anyone else feeling the same or have any advice or suggestions of how to stop feeling so overwhelmed from studying or guilty when I take a break from my dissertation or essay work ?
God I feel the same except that I’m so overwhelmed that I don’t do any work. My a levels are in May. And I know that I have to revise but I can’t bring myself to at the same time I feel really nervous and stressed and feel like I’ll be left behind and fail. I have tuition going on but I can’t do any personal revision.
Idk what to do.
Original post by katieadeline98
So my dissertation is due in 2 weeks today and I have another three essays due in 3 weeks, all my dissertation and essays are written and just need extensive editing and rewording...

But I can't help but feel like I must study and work on them all hours of everyday because its bad if I don't, which results in me feeling very overwhelmed of having to study for hours a day and then when I have to stop because I feel tired I feel even more overwhelmed and feel like i'm behind and that I should be doing so much more work...

Anyone else feeling the same or have any advice or suggestions of how to stop feeling so overwhelmed from studying or guilty when I take a break from my dissertation or essay work ?

Breaks are not just you choosing to be lazy, they are vital to refresh yourself and prevent burn-out.

Try to set realistic goals for each day, and make sure you set yourself specific times during the day to have rests.
lol you don't need to be worried if all you need to do is edit them.

i still have 1/4 of my diss left and a 4000 word report and they're both due early may!

It's perfectly normal to take a break after a hard day's work.

There's some things you can do to alleviate the feeling of being overwhelmed. Spend today or tomorrow sorting our your week. I suggest doing this every Sunday. Figure out what you're working on each day and spend the same amount of time doing it so you don't feel overwhelmed or underwhelmed/guilty for spending more time on one piece of work than the other. If editing is all you need to do, I wouldn't imagine it'd take up too much time. You already got the hard part out of the way! You've written them, well done! I wouldn't say "edit" because that connotes many challenges. I would say "refine" them. That's all you're doing, just neatening up your essays. If you start saying this, I swear to you, it will take the pressure off.

Set time out every 2 hrs. That's what I did. Take a 15-30 mins break between the two hours - have a snack (it's OK to eat some chocolate or biscuits, you deserve it!). Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your brain focused and I'd recommend brain food too such as a banana. I couldn't tell you how much I went through but it was a lot! Make sure you get plenty of sleep as well so you feel like you can take the next day by the balls!

If you don't manage to finish any tasks during the day, say to yourself, "It's ok - I did what I could. Now it's time to focus on my next task". And when it comes to Sunday or if you finish a task early, carry on with any tasks you weren't able to finish.

The final stretch is always the hardest, but definitely the most rewarding. Don't worry - you got this!

Considering you've already written them all, then you're already in a good position! I'd recommend designating one day a week where you do no uni work at all and you have a day to yourself to do whatever you like without the guilt (that's what I do). Then arrange your time, maybe an hour or two every day going through your dissertation first (but if that's overwhelming, you could start with one of the smaller essays first). Schedule your time into bite-size amounts leading up to their deadlines and one by one, submit them. Submitting even one will make you feel like you're progressing and getting things done. And remind yourself that the sooner you finish this work, this final hurdle, the sooner you graduate (I assume) and get a break! It just seems like you've hit a wall, you're tired and fed up and it's a case of getting back up to speed again. You can do it!

PhoenixFortune
Breaks are not just you choosing to be lazy, they are vital to refresh yourself and prevent burn-out.

Try to set realistic goals for each day, and make sure you set yourself specific times during the day to have rests.

This is hard to follow and I think there's a fine line between having a break and maybe having too much of a break and losing track of your work, :lol: but this is very true. Rest and breaks are just as important as studying!

Quick Reply

Latest