Want more information about this university?

Which Kent accommodation? Keynes flats or houses or college?

Watch
stresseddelrey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have firmed Kent, and am confused about the accommodation. What is the difference between the houses and flats (is it just ensuite/shared)?

Which accommodation is the best for its value of money out of Keynes? What are Parkwood, Becket and Tyler like?

Anyone who lives in Kent have any info/tips when deciding on accommodation?
StudentRep Medway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there!
What might be confusing is that there are two types of Keynes flats; self-catered and part catered (called Keynes college).

The main differences between the Keynes self-catered flats and the Keynes houses are simply that in the Keynes flats you have an en-suite and the option to have an extra large room (which obviously costs a bit more) whereas in the Keynes houses you share 4 bathrooms between 9 people in the house. Also obviously the layout is different as the flats are organised in long corridors across one level and the houses are 2 or 3 stories. The interiors are almost exactly the same so it's simply a matter of personal preference! The Keynes houses and self-catered flats are located right next to each other so both have a really good position right near the centre of campus. Keynes college (where all the lecture theatres, seminar rooms, labs and places to eat are) is not attached to the self-catered houses and flats, it's just a 30 second walk though.
The Keynes college flats are quite different to the self-catered ones. The layout is different as the kitchens are smaller because you are part-catered and don't need big kitchen space, and the rooms are in a different decor. It's all about whether you'd like to be catered or self-catered really!

In my first year I lived in Turing flats, but I had a lot of friends in Keynes and Parkwood which I also really liked. Parkwood is made up of courts of houses that are either 5 bedrooms (with 1 shower and 2 toilets between 5) or 6 bedrooms (with 2 showers and 2 toilets between 6). Parkwood also has several blocks of flats too which are located at the far side. A lot of the Parkwood houses have been recently refurbished so the rooms are nice and modern and bright with plenty of storage. Parkwood has the most community feel to it out of all the accommodation, in my opinion, and at one end of Parkwood is Woody's which has a restaurant/bar, dance studios, study spaces and a small shop.
Tyler court is very similar to the Keynes flats, just with a slightly different interior and located on the opposite side of main campus. It is still really central and has all the same benefits as living in Keynes. Tyler court block B and block C are en-suite.
I don't know much about Becket Court as it is quite a small accommodation block compared to the others so I simply haven't met anyone who live there. Becket Court is also part-catered so has smaller kitchens shared between 7. Becket Court is probably one of the most central accommodation blocks right behind Venue and the student union shop.

With accommodation I'd recommend that you think about whether you'd like to be catered or self-catered. Personally I prefer being self-catered as I thought it had a bigger social aspect to it as people hang out together in the kitchen and there's more communal space.
Also, you need to consider whether you'd like to have an en-suite or not. Personally I really wanted an en-suite but, in the Turing houses for example, the bathroom is only shared between 2 so I found that to be quite a good option too. You can do virtual tours of all the accommodation on the website here; https://www.kent.ac.uk/accommodation/index.html

I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions about living on campus, I'm more than happy to help
(Original post by nurudelrey)
I have firmed Kent, and am confused about the accommodation. What is the difference between the houses and flats (is it just ensuite/shared)?

Which accommodation is the best for its value of money out of Keynes? What are Parkwood, Becket and Tyler like?

Anyone who lives in Kent have any info/tips when deciding on accommodation?
stresseddelrey
Rep:
?
thank you so much!!!

So the difference between Keynes college and Keynes flats is that the college is part-catered, whereas the flats are self-catered?

Now the prices of Turing and Keynes are basically the same so is Turing still better than Keynes? (And worth the money)?

People say Parkwood is really far from campus?
StudentRep Medway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nurudelrey)
thank you so much!!!

So the difference between Keynes college and Keynes flats is that the college is part-catered, whereas the flats are self-catered?

Now the prices of Turing and Keynes are basically the same so is Turing still better than Keynes? (And worth the money)?

People say Parkwood is really far from campus?
No problem!
Yeah that's right, so it's just a matter of whether you want to be self-catered or part-catered.

Personally, I prefer Turing to Keynes, because in Turing you have an actual shower in your en-suite rather than a wet-room and Turing is more modern inside. Also from some of the Turing flats you have really lovely views over Canterbury from the kitchens and hallways which is lovely. These are quite superficial reasons to be honest, but other than that they're both pretty much the same. Standard Turing flats are the same price as the standard Keynes flats. It's totally personal preference but I think Turing was worth the money as it was such a lovely place to live, my parents called it a hotel when they first moved me in!

Parkwood is a little bit of a walk from campus, but it depends where in Parkwood you end up living. The closest Parkwood courts are about a 5 minute walk from the centre of campus (but bear in mind there are lots of buildings such as the Business and Maths building, the sports centre, the digital arts building and the biomed building which are closer to Parkwood than main campus) but from the courts on the further side of Parkwood it could be about a 10 minute walk. The walk to campus is really pretty though, with tree lined paths all the way which are well lit at night. I wouldn't let the walk to campus put you off of Parkwood too much though as because you're quite far from campus Parkwood is a really nice social accomodation to live in.
stresseddelrey
Rep:
?
Thank you!!!
(Original post by StudentRep Annabel)
No problem!
Yeah that's right, so it's just a matter of whether you want to be self-catered or part-catered.

Personally, I prefer Turing to Keynes, because in Turing you have an actual shower in your en-suite rather than a wet-room and Turing is more modern inside. Also from some of the Turing flats you have really lovely views over Canterbury from the kitchens and hallways which is lovely. These are quite superficial reasons to be honest, but other than that they're both pretty much the same. Standard Turing flats are the same price as the standard Keynes flats. It's totally personal preference but I think Turing was worth the money as it was such a lovely place to live, my parents called it a hotel when they first moved me in!

Parkwood is a little bit of a walk from campus, but it depends where in Parkwood you end up living. The closest Parkwood courts are about a 5 minute walk from the centre of campus (but bear in mind there are lots of buildings such as the Business and Maths building, the sports centre, the digital arts building and the biomed building which are closer to Parkwood than main campus) but from the courts on the further side of Parkwood it could be about a 10 minute walk. The walk to campus is really pretty though, with tree lined paths all the way which are well lit at night. I wouldn't let the walk to campus put you off of Parkwood too much though as because you're quite far from campus Parkwood is a really nice social accomodation to live in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.17%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.94%

Watched Threads