Quit my job, moving house and traveling, anyone have any advice? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I recently gave in my two weeks notice because my parents are moving soon and I live with them, at the same time I also decided now was the time to travel (I've never traveled, I only really leave my bed for work) I decided this pretty abruptly, and it only sunk in a couple mins after I gave in my notice. I feel so much dread and it's translating into the travel I want to do, I'm dreading it, I'm terrified. Has anyone felt dread at the thought of traveling?

I'm feeling dread but at the same time it feels like something I have to do, I saved for months at a minimum wage job I really didn't like, I'm lucky to be in a position where I can travel, and I've always wanted too.

I want to visit Korea and Japan, I think I can get by in Japan, but I don't know even a single word of Korean and I'm going to be spending more time in Korea since its cheaper. I don't really know anything about travel, planes, booking hostels or air bnbs, so making this quick decision is scaring me, especially since I'd be on a flight in about 2 weeks from now.

My parents were upset I didn't speak to them properly about quiting my job (my shifts were all night shifts), they said I should only quit if I'm traveling and when I get back I need a plan of action, but I finished uni last year and I still don't know what I'm doing...

Tl:dr: quit my job before moving house, decided to travel but terrified, too many changes at once, any advice appreciated.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I recently gave in my two weeks notice because my parents are moving soon and I live with them, at the same time I also decided now was the time to travel (I've never traveled, I only really leave my bed for work) I decided this pretty abruptly, and it only sunk in a couple mins after I gave in my notice. I feel so much dread and it's translating into the travel I want to do, I'm dreading it, I'm terrified. Has anyone felt dread at the thought of traveling?

I'm feeling dread but at the same time it feels like something I have to do, I saved for months at a minimum wage job I really didn't like, I'm lucky to be in a position where I can travel, and I've always wanted too.

I want to visit Korea and Japan, I think I can get by in Japan, but I don't know even a single word of Korean and I'm going to be spending more time in Korea since its cheaper. I don't really know anything about travel, planes, booking hostels or air bnbs, so making this quick decision is scaring me, especially since I'd be on a flight in about 2 weeks from now.

My parents were upset I didn't speak to them properly about quiting my job (my shifts were all night shifts), they said I should only quit if I'm traveling and when I get back I need a plan of action, but I finished uni last year and I still don't know what I'm doing...

Tl:dr: quit my job before moving house, decided to travel but terrified, too many changes at once, any advice appreciated.
How old are you and how much money do you have? Have you had the injections for asian travel? Where will your parents be living when you get back?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ajj2000)
How old are you and how much money do you have? Have you had the injections for asian travel? Where will your parents be living when you get back?
23, like £2k, I didn't know I needed injections to travel to Japan and Korea.... The same city as I live in now, I just quit my job cause it would be too far.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
*travelling

ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
23, like £2k, I didn't know I needed injections to travel to Japan and Korea.... The same city as I live in now, I just quit my job cause it would be too far.
Honestly, £2k wont last long at all in Japan and Korea. They are expensive places. Please check out costs before you buy a plane ticket.
Steph4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How long are you planning on traveling for? 2k isnt going to last long especially when it includes flights to korea/japan, multiple hostels/airbnbs and all the food, souvenirs and touristy things you might want to do. Also have you booked any accommodation yet for when you get to japan or korea? because 2 weeks seems like short notice to find something nice but also cheap for your budget. I'm sure its possible to travel on 2k but it would need to be very well planned. Good luck for your travels!
Anonymous #1
Honestly, £2k wont last long at all in Japan and Korea. They are expensive places. Please check out costs before you buy a plane ticket.
Really? I thought they would be expensive but I didn't think it'd blow through my money THAT quickly, maybe if I just go to one? Thank you i'll look into it alittle more before I book, I only have a small window before we move so I've been a rush trying to get this sorted out. I feel like their are some hidden costs I'm not remembering too, or I just don't know about them till they become a problem.
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

The flight itself to Japan or Korea from the UK may well cost over 1/3 of your budget... maybe 1/4 if you're lucky, I think the cheapest I've found thus far is ~£600 to Osaka from Edinburgh when I was planning a trip.

You might be able to get a cheaper flight if you fly from France instead and fly to France from another airport, but it might be a slim saving considering hotel costs, etc, unless you fly same day. Anyway, it's pricey to fly there.

Another consideration might be the cost of transport, food, etc. Travelling around Japan is expensive. The food can be expensive, etc... the language might be an issue, too, but afaik it isn't a problem as English is actually taught in school over there.

No clue about Korea, but, I don't think £2,000 is enough for a trip to Japan and Korea, at least not for a long time. In all honesty, there's a ratio of time-spent-in-country to time-spent-on-flight and a similar price ratio. The ratio gets a helluva lot better if you have more cash, since that ~£600 on a flight may well buy you an extra week in Japan or something like that.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Really? I thought they would be expensive but I didn't think it'd blow through my money THAT quickly, maybe if I just go to one? Thank you i'll look into it alittle more before I book, I only have a small window before we move so I've been a rush trying to get this sorted out. I feel like their are some hidden costs I'm not remembering too, or I just don't know about them till they become a problem.
Id suggest you have a look (plenty of info online) at cheaper countries to visit. Indonesia, Cambodia, Nepal are all great.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Steph4)
How long are you planning on traveling for? 2k isnt going to last long especially when it includes flights to korea/japan, multiple hostels/airbnbs and all the food, souvenirs and touristy things you might want to do. Also have you booked any accommodation yet for when you get to japan or korea? because 2 weeks seems like short notice to find something nice but also cheap for your budget. I'm sure its possible to travel on 2k but it would need to be very well planned. Good luck for your travels!
2-3 weeks, I figured if I'm going over there I should go for as long as possible since I won't be going again for a long while, I didn't plan on booking multiple hostels just the one in for either county, and your right about it being short notice, I haven't booked them yet, and the good but cheap hostels in Japan are almost non existent, that's why I was only going to stay for a shorter time in Japan, but looking at the comments I'm thinking I should only do either Japan or Korea not both. Thankyou for the well wishes and the help
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like many other posters commented, £2k won't last you a long time, especially if you are planning to go to both Japan and Korea. It is worth doing some research (read online, watch Youtube videos, etc.) to see which places to visit and which are better for your pocket.

You mentioned that you have a uni degree? Have you considered teaching English abroad? Not only will it mean you are earning money but you will also get to meet the locals and travel around in your spare time.
Steph4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah 2k isnt going to cover 2-3 weeks worth of travelling over two countries. I think if your going to be traveling super budget you will probably need £100-120 a day to include everything except flights. Like the other poster said have you looked at going to other cheaper countries and visiting japan and korea when you have saved a little more money to really enjoy your experience? You might enjoy being in japan and korea even more when you dont have to worry about spending money, and you could always phone or email the airline and try to switch your flights to a different place.
2-3 weeks, I figured if I'm going over there I should go for as long as possible since I won't be going again for a long while, I didn't plan on booking multiple hostels just the one in for either county, and your right about it being short notice, I haven't booked them yet, and the good but cheap hostels in Japan are almost non existent, that's why I was only going to stay for a shorter time in Japan, but looking at the comments I'm thinking I should only do either Japan or Korea not both. Thankyou for the well wishes and the help
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Callicious)
The flight itself to Japan or Korea from the UK may well cost over 1/3 of your budget... maybe 1/4 if you're lucky, I think the cheapest I've found thus far is ~£600 to Osaka from Edinburgh when I was planning a trip.

You might be able to get a cheaper flight if you fly from France instead and fly to France from another airport, but it might be a slim saving considering hotel costs, etc, unless you fly same day. Anyway, it's pricey to fly there.

Another consideration might be the cost of transport, food, etc. Travelling around Japan is expensive. The food can be expensive, etc... the language might be an issue, too, but afaik it isn't a problem as English is actually taught in school over there.

No clue about Korea, but, I don't think £2,000 is enough for a trip to Japan and Korea, at least not for a long time. In all honesty, there's a ratio of time-spent-in-country to time-spent-on-flight and a similar price ratio. The ratio gets a helluva lot better if you have more cash, since that ~£600 on a flight may well buy you an extra week in Japan or something like that.
From Manchester to Korea, Korea to Japan then Japan back to Manchester its been just under £700 when I've been looking so yeah a massive part of my budget, its about £400 for Korea alone( that's the cheapest I've seen) and £540 for Japan alone (again cheapest)

I never thought about that, it sounds so simple... Less money on a flight can get you longer in the country, wow I'm not even thinking with my brain, ugh.

Thanks for your reply!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Like many other posters commented, £2k won't last you a long time, especially if you are planning to go to both Japan and Korea. It is worth doing some research (read online, watch Youtube videos, etc.) to see which places to visit and which are better for your pocket.

You mentioned that you have a uni degree? Have you considered teaching English abroad? Not only will it mean you are earning money but you will also get to meet the locals and travel around in your spare time.
That's a good idea, I was going to do that once I booked my flights but it obviously makes more sense to do it before hand.

Also I have thought about it and I would honestly love to, but... My anxiety is bad BAD, I got the job I just quit because it involved me talking and dealing with customers all day, I knew talking was something I needed to improve on and I did, but I still stutter, mumble or talk too fast alot of the time, but I did improve. I actually wanted to take this trip because I wanted to see the country and also to see if I wanted to maybe only travel abroad or if I actually wanted to do other things abroad like further study or teaching.

Thank you for the reply and good ideas
Anonymous #1
Id suggest you have a look (plenty of info online) at cheaper countries to visit. Indonesia, Cambodia, Nepal are all great.
I will take a gander, I only originally chose Japan and Korea cause ive been wanting to go there along with Norway or Switzerland since I was like 10, (chose those two over the other two cause theyre further) but I'm open to see other places, thanks for the recommendation!
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will take a gander, I only originally chose Japan and Korea cause ive been wanting to go there along with Norway or Switzerland since I was like 10, (chose those two over the other two cause theyre further) but I'm open to see other places, thanks for the recommendation!
Japan, Norway and Ch - wow! You picked the most expensive places on earth! Korea used to be - not so bad now apparently. There are more reasonable and equally amazing places to go - have a check.

https://www.indietraveller.co/top-ch...ces-to-travel/
Anonymous #1
Japan, Norway and Ch - wow! You picked the most expensive places on earth! Korea used to be - not so bad now apparently. There are more reasonable and equally amazing places to go - have a check.

https://www.indietraveller.co/top-ch...ces-to-travel/
Yeah when I was looking for hostels in Korea they weren't too expensive so I thought it'd be okay, Japan... Is definetly a place I now see I'm going to have to be willing to say goodbye to all of my money if I go

Also, Thank you again you've been so so helpful! Ahh I forgot about Mexico, I've been wanted to visit there too, maybe if I save up a couple years haha...

I'll do some research on the countries on the list, my biggest thing more than money is safety, that’s what I've been warry of about some countries, I know for sure Japan is safe so I didn't really hesitate before wanting to go.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Steph4)
yeah 2k isnt going to cover 2-3 weeks worth of travelling over two countries. I think if your going to be traveling super budget you will probably need £100-120 a day to include everything except flights. Like the other poster said have you looked at going to other cheaper countries and visiting japan and korea when you have saved a little more money to really enjoy your experience? You might enjoy being in japan and korea even more when you dont have to worry about spending money, and you could always phone or email the airline and try to switch your flights to a different place.
£100-£120 a day!? Wow... Someone posted links to cheaper countries to visit so I'm going to look more into those, I do really still want to go to Japan or Korea tho, I haven't booked my flights yet but its good to know that I can change them, I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (212)
21.88%
The paper was reasonable (419)
43.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (185)
19.09%
It was TERRIBLE (153)
15.79%

Watched Threads