The Student Room Group

Unsure about firm and insurance university.

I am trying to decide which university to firm and insure, late I know, but I'm very indecisve. I have offers from Durham, Leeds, Nottingham and Exeter but I don't think I want to go to Durham or Leeds so it's between Nottingham and Exeter which will be the same entry grades anyway if I firm Exeter (they'll lower my requirements to AAB like Nottingham). I prefer the variety in the course at nottingham as I'm not sure which area of psychology to go into yet, but I'm worried it may be too general and I can't find specific module information online. However, I managed to find module information for Exeter online and the developmental psychology modules look interesting but there's too much focus on other areas and modules for me. Also, Nottingham seem to have better opportunities for placement and years abroad. Despite this, I'm worried about the reputation as I know Exeter is more renowned than Nottingham. My parents seem to want me to go there as well as they think it would give me more independence being far from home (up North).

Could anyone please offer me some advice on my situation?
Reply 1
In my opinion, I’d look at the course itself and what you think would be best for you. I’m considering changing courses at the moment as I’ve picked quite a specific degree and I think i want to go more general as I’m not certain it’s the area I want to focus on.
Reply 2
Okay, thank you :smile: would you suggest going more general as a safe bet then?
Reply 3
Original post by Niamh_BF
Okay, thank you :smile: would you suggest going more general as a safe bet then?

Generally yes, but have you visited both unis to get a feel for the campuses - which do you prefer? Because at the end of the day you’ll be spending 3 years there so you might as well like the uni x
Reply 4
Yes I’ve visited both but I’m not sure which I prefer which isn’t very helpful 🤷*♀️😂 I think I maybe like Nottingham more just because it’s closer to home and a little closer to the city than Exeter I think as well
Reply 5
Yes I’ve visited both but I’m not sure which I prefer which isn’t very helpful 🤷*♀️😂 I think I maybe like Nottingham more just because it’s closer to home and a little closer to the city than Exeter I think as well

And if you prefer the course as well, that’s Nottingham 2, Exeter 0
Reply 6
Very true, thank you for helping to make it clearer in my head!! :smile:
Reply 7
I actually made this exact same decision a few weeks back for Law between Nottingham and Exeter and kept on going back and forth so I know exactly how difficult it is but hopefully I can help you :smile: I ended up opting for Exeter.

First of, I wouldn’t say Exeter is more renowned than Nottingham. They’re both very good universities and an employer won’t care if you go to one over the other as the difference is negligible so don’t let rankings or reputation influence your decision.

When I was deciding, it really came down to what kind of experience you went as they’re both pretty different; although they’re both on beautiful campuses, Notts is a vibrant, big city in the Midlands, while Exeter is much quieter and smaller down South. They’re pretty contrasting and you must have a preference as to whether a big city or somewhere smaller is more appealing.

Look in depth at the modules and how it’s taught and which one is more appealing to you as well.

I know it’s a very tough decision and it’s a personal choice but base it on where you see yourself studying for 3 years and where you’d be happier at. I presume you’ve looked around both so should have a feel for them but the best advice I can give is to trust your gut instinct as it’s usually right :smile: That’s what I did anyway.

You can’t really go wrong as they’re both excellent if you choose Exeter I’ll look forward to possibly seeing you there!
Exeter will be a lot more expensive to live in and to travel home from... another point for Nottighmam.

BUT... Nottingham has no en- suite or shared bathroom between 2 left so its big corridors with bathrooms on 5-1 ratio and hogwarts type food arrangement, rather than flat-like arrangement and they have no self-catered near campus apart from studios living on your own.. you don’t get told that till you firm (or overhear someone who has firmed complaining at the offer holders day) - is that a factor in your decision making?
Original post by mkstudent
Exeter will be a lot more expensive to live in and to travel home from... another point for Nottighmam.

BUT... Nottingham has no en- suite or shared bathroom between 2 left so its big corridors with bathrooms on 5-1 ratio and hogwarts type food arrangement, rather than flat-like arrangement and they have no self-catered near campus apart from studios living on your own.. you don’t get told that till you firm (or overhear someone who has firmed complaining at the offer holders day) - is that a factor in your decision making?

More Accommodation will become available in August when people miss their offers or change their mind. And there’s always private halls or shared houses available.
Exeter campus is closer to the city than Nottingham.
This is true, but they said rooms freed up by those missing their offers go to insurance first, then clearing and they dont hold a waiting list so if accomodation on campus or ensuite is a deciding factor its worth knowing.
Original post by PQ
More Accommodation will become available in August when people miss their offers or change their mind. And there’s always private halls or shared houses available.
Reply 12

I was thinking about Broadgate park, are you meaning a lot of accommodation is taken up by now?

They do if you go self catered, I got offered and ensuite studio about 2 weeks ago and there were loads of en-suites left! So as long as you’re a socialite queen, such as I consider myself :wink:, you’ll be fine with studio
Did say there were studios and I am sure if you are very social that will be fine, the issue was that you wouldnt know what was left until you firmed.
Did say there were studios and I am sure if you are very social that will be fine, the issue was that you wouldnt know what was left until you firmed.

True true but I guess that’s the risk you take. At the end of the day you gotta be happy at the uni you’ve put first regardless of accommodation
Yup, very true, but the fact they were handing out misleading info at the open day raised concerns over their administration. again though the course is the most important thing and then the “feel” - if you walk round a uni and can envisage yourself there the gut feel tells you its right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending