The Student Room Group

How can I get from a 3 to a 6 in English Language GCSE in just 6 weeks?

I am on a 3 in English Language GCSE and I need a 6 to do the A-Levels want to do any help in getting me there and how should I revise to get there. I struggle with inference and repetition in story writing and revision.
same i would just say keep on doing practice papers and watch mr salles
speaking as a grade 7/8 student, this is what i do to achieve high marks on each question

for question 2: (3 paragraphs) use PETAL (point, evidence, technique, analysis, link back to point) and also subtly mention the effect on the reader.
when linking back to your point, refer to how your analysis proves your point, for example: "(insert analysis) emphasises on how (insert
point) achieves (something else). Also, to get the highest marks, try analyse sentence form in one of your paragraphs as it is also a
language technique. To really impress the examiners, use embedded quotes to further reinforce your point.

for question 3(3 paragraphs) DO NOT mention ANY language techniques or you will lose marks. use the petal format i have mentioned before for question one , but instead of a language technique, mention a structural technique such as a shift in focus, the writer's use of punctuation, and the possibly paragraph lengths. an important note to take is not to waffle, get straight to the point and make it easy for the examiners to mark your work.

for question 4: (4 paragraphs)- first state your point to the examiner as to whether you agree, disagree or partially agree. Then provide evidence from the text as to how it proves your point, through the use of a technique. basically, use PETAL for four paragraphs.

for question 5: this is creative writing , so you would have to adapt to the situation that the exam has thrown at you. For example, if you had to write a magazine for teens, you would use language that is intriguing, and entertaining to read. The language should not use slang however, it may lose you marks. Another example is if they ask you to describe the world 200 years from now, you could write a description in the form of a journal/ diary of a person who is a refugee under the effects of global warming.. For this question , however, the mark is determined by the complexity of your vocabulary, so i would suggest you read more .
Original post by mjhmichael18
I am on a 3 in English Language GCSE and I need a 6 to do the A-Levels want to do any help in getting me there and how should I revise to get there. I struggle with inference and repetition in story writing and revision.

Quick Reply

Latest