How many people in the UK got straight 9s at GCSE? Watch

AntMan200
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was looking at this news article and it says that 200 people were expected to get straight 9s, does anyone know what that number ended up being ultimately?
georgia1989
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/education-45282518

732 students
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Littlegeekgirl_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
732 got 7 9s but most people do more than 7 GCSEs so it isn’t really straight 9s
georgia1989
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Littlegeekgirl_)
732 got 7 9s but most people do more than 7 GCSEs so it isn’t really straight 9s
'732 students secured a clean sweep of grade 9s in all subjects'
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by georgia1989)
'732 students secured a clean sweep of grade 9s in all subjects'
You’re getting your information from unreliable tabloids. If you go to the official Department for Education website you will find that this is only the case for those who got 7 9s and above not a ‘clean sweep’. https://assets.publishing.service.go...ic_23.8.18.pdf
Under the heading ‘Grade combinations for 16 year olds’ the total across reformed (9-1) subjects achieving 7+ grade 9s was 732 including 278 boys and 454 girls
georgia1989
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You’re getting your information from unreliable tabloids. If you go to the official Department for Education website you will find that this is only the case for those who got 7 9s and above not a ‘clean sweep’. https://assets.publishing.service.go...ic_23.8.18.pdf
Under the heading ‘Grade combinations for 16 year olds’ the total across reformed (9-1) subjects achieving 7+ grade 9s was 732 including 278 boys and 454 girls
You don't have to be patronising about it
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You don't have to be patronising about it
sorry
georgia1989
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
sorry
The information I found was from the BBC which is well known and respected so it would be easy to trust that it was right
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The information I found was from the BBC which is well known and respected so it would be easy to trust that it was right
yeah, I understand, I probably would’ve done the same thing to be fair. Sorry for being patronising. Good Luck with exams!
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You have been misled by Ofqual's infographic. That is not the message that they were trying to get across. Ofqual, the exams regulator, actually state on their website that it was for straight 9s, but there was a caveat, which is mentioned:

'[W]e have looked at the number of students taking at least 7 reformed 9 to 1 GCSEs who achieved a grade 9 in all of their 9 to 1 graded subjects. In total, there were 732 students that achieved this'.

Source (under the section titled 'Grade 9 in reformed GCSE subjects'): https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...r-england-2018
georgia1989
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah, I understand, I probably would’ve done the same thing to be fair. Sorry for being patronising. Good Luck with exams!
No problem I know you didn't intend to, good luck to you as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?