The Student Room Group

What book(s) have you abandoned?

Were there one (or several) that didn't particularly catch your interest once you'd started reading it?

How long did you decide to give the book before abandoning it?

for me it'll probably be the great gatsby - about a quarter of the way through and going to watch a tv/movie adaption to see if it can help get through it)
The 50 Shades of Grey books. When I first heard of them I thought it was great that erotic fiction had broken into the mainstream (I've been reading and writing erotic/BDSM fiction since 2006) but they were dreadful. I can't remember how much I actually read vs when I switched to watching the movies. But regardless the writing was bad. The phrase 'inner goddess' made me cringe. The 'BDSM' aspect was handled terribly, throwing consent and the submissive's needs entirely out the window. It was abuse; not BDSM. In the films they tried to make it seem more consensual - but they still failed.

Also, around the time I read it I was actually involved with a dominant from the city Christian Grey lives in so it made me feel a little bit weird. :colondollar:
(edited 5 years ago)
I haven't read or watched 50 Shades but still am a bit curious so its still on my tbr list at this moment in time :smile:. When I was in 6th form the year before when the book came out it did the rounds... people kept borrowing it as ut must've been hard to get hard of.

Original post by sinfonietta
The 50 Shades of Grey books. When I first heard of them I thought it was great that erotic fiction had broken into the mainstream (I've been reading and writing erotic/BDSM fiction since 2006) but they were dreadful. I can't remember how much I actually read vs when I switched to watching the movies. But regardless the writing was bad. The phrase 'inner goddess' made me cringe. The 'BDSM' aspect was handled terribly, throwing consent and the submissive's needs entirely out the window. It was abuse; not BDSM. In the films they tried to make it seem more consensual - but they still failed.

Also, around the time I read it I was actually involved with a dominant from the city Christian Grey lives in so it made me feel a little bit weird. :colondollar:
Frankenstein, Dracula, Pride and Prejudice... :moon:
A few weeks ago a friend recommended I read Eat, Pray, Love. I hated it!

I had never seen the film either but I just didn't warm to the protagonist and found it annoying. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
I ended up abandoning Lord of the Rings. The story is great and the world-building is peerless, but my goodness does the prose get tedious after a while. I slogged through to the end of book 4 and simply couldn't muster the effort to continue through it. It is basically the one instance of a franchise where I actually preferred the screen adaptation to the books.
Harry Potter
Original post by Study_Girl 7
Harry Potter

same
war and peace, don't know what I was doing reading that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending