The Student Room Group
University of York
York
York's a pretty well respected Uni so you should probably have some kind of sureity that you're going to get AAB if you apply there, *but* you could put them on your list of places to apply to and decide once you get the results for your January A2s which would give you a better idea of where you're heading. Just personally I don't see York as one to take on people with grades lower than the offer because they're in the top ten I think.
University of York
York
Reply 2
It depends on how many other people are applying and whether or not they've got the grades.
Yeah the course is really important. If you're applying for something popular like English Lit my first statement applies more to that really.
Reply 4
JocastaJackal
Yeah the course is really important. If you're applying for something popular like English Lit my first statement applies more to that really.

i was looking at bsc Mathematics and Computer Science
Reply 5
wait to see what you actually get in your ASs to finally decide where you're going to apply
Reply 6
JocastaJackal
York's a pretty well respected Uni so you should probably have some kind of sureity that you're going to get AAB if you apply there, *but* you could put them on your list of places to apply to and decide once you get the results for your January A2s which would give you a better idea of where you're heading. Just personally I don't see York as one to take on people with grades lower than the offer because they're in the top ten I think.

i take it you meant AS results, given that jan results come out after UCAS deadline.

i would always say that from 5 choices have one that is pushing yourself a bit. if you do get in, then great. if not, you still have four other choices from which you will hopefully have at least one offer.
Well, I meant maybe you could put York on your UCAS application and when the first A2 results come out in March time you can decide whether to put it as your firm or not. That is if you're willing to sacrifice one of your slots to York of course. I replied to my offers a few days after I got my first A2 results.
Reply 8
There are, on average, 8 applicants per place at York. They will place strong emphasis on your AS grades when deciding whether or not to offer you a place, and therefore if you don't achieve the required grades at AS, which form a large part of your predicted grades, you will struggle to be made an offer.
Again, it depends on the other applicants. This year, CS was in clearing though with a lower offer (think it was BBB, can't remember exactly), so you may have a chance with ABB. That was CS though, not CS/Maths, so I don't know if it's different (it may depend on the maths department a bit aswell...). If you like York though, it doesn't hurt to apply :smile:
You might as well apply, but make sure that you put a range of unis on your UCAS to make sure you get an insurance place with a lower offer
Reply 11
Talk nicely to your teachers, especially if you're borderline on one of the subjects and see if they'll predict you AAB. I was predicted AAB, got ABB (doing straight Computer Science) and was in no problems. Computer Science at York has gone through to Clearing for the past few years, mainly because of the decline of people taking it in general in recent years.

Latest