Hi, anyone have notes/tips for Spanish CIE IGCSE? :( Watch

clouds343
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Any notes/help of any kind is much appreciated, thanks in advance. xxx

I don't know what to learn/how to use information.
After revising/pouring over grammar tables, in tests I never apply them effectively or understand the majority of vocabulary. >_<

I'm truly dreadful at Spanish. In all areas. Writing, reading, listening & speaking. I need a 8/9 though for my GCSEs as I desperately don't want to bring down my other subjects.

Thanks again. ♥
sasharosew
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The key is learning the essential verbs and how to conjugate them, especially the irregular ones, as this will help you in all aspects of Spanish. There are some great premade sets on memrise and quizlet to help you with this and it will save you so much time as they are already made. Once you have these down go over your topic-specific vocabulary as this will be important, especially for speaking and writing. Once again I would use quizlet or memrise, premade sets or make your own. Finally, however I would not focus on this until you are confident with the essential and required vocab, I would learn some impressive phrases that can boost your grade such as phrases using the subjunctive, opinion phrases, and complex vocab.
The most important revision technique is to do practice papers. This will not only help you to improve your vocab but it will help you to become familiar with the format of the exam so you don't panic during the exam and mess up. For CIE there are numerous websites online with many past papers and mark schemes for listening, reading and writing. Do these and check your answers. It is pointless to do these papers though without checking the mark schemes and correcting your answers as you are otherwise likely to make these mistakes again.
I wish you all the best of luck
student300581
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I now do alevel Spanish and as someone who is also studying it and came out with an A in their Spanish I would really recommend having Spanish radio on all the time... if your doing other homework or on the bus to school or even getting ready in the morning have the radio on youll be amazed at how much you pick up subconsciously and it will help with pronunciation. rtve.es is one I always have on.

learning your verbs is really important. know the difference between the imperfect and preterite tense. if you really struggle with using verbs have some ready to use phrases that you can slot in if you struggle to lean the whole tense eg
me gusta(n) = I like it (them)
que (accent on the e) pena que= what a shame that
le ruego que = I beg that you.
daria que (accent on the I) = I would say that
he comido/visto/leido (accent on I only for leido) esto antes = I have eaten/seen/read this before
fue mal/bien/bomba = it was bad/good/ a blast (only if it happened one time such as a holiday)
era mal/bien/bomba = it was bad/good/ a blast (something that happened may times... you could describe your primary school as this because it was like this for a long time but if for one specific day you had a good bad ect time you would use the one above)

also in your liseting if you are struggling to think of what to say instead of saying urmmmm or welllllll say pues or Bueno insteal these mean the same ut theyre Spanish so your stalling in the correct language.
also in your listening you will have to at some point ask your examiner a question too or at least I did for my exam but they will not indicate to you when to do this you can ask them whe you want but if you don't you wont be able to get full marks not even if the rest of your Spanish was perfect. you can simple just say and you or you could repeat the question they asked you but just make sure you say one - even if you exam board doesn't require one it will show fluency.
hope this helps

(Original post by clouds343)
Any notes/help of any kind is much appreciated, thanks in advance. xxx

I don't know what to learn/how to use information.
After revising/pouring over grammar tables, in tests I never apply them effectively or understand the majority of vocabulary. >_<

I'm truly dreadful at Spanish. In all areas. Writing, reading, listening & speaking. I need a 8/9 though for my GCSEs as I desperately don't want to bring down my other subjects.

Thanks again. ♥
clouds343
Rep:
?
thanks so much
(Original post by sasharosew)
The key is learning the essential verbs and how to conjugate them, especially the irregular ones, as this will help you in all aspects of Spanish. There are some great premade sets on memrise and quizlet to help you with this and it will save you so much time as they are already made. Once you have these down go over your topic-specific vocabulary as this will be important, especially for speaking and writing. Once again I would use quizlet or memrise, premade sets or make your own. Finally, however I would not focus on this until you are confident with the essential and required vocab, I would learn some impressive phrases that can boost your grade such as phrases using the subjunctive, opinion phrases, and complex vocab.
The most important revision technique is to do practice papers. This will not only help you to improve your vocab but it will help you to become familiar with the format of the exam so you don't panic during the exam and mess up. For CIE there are numerous websites online with many past papers and mark schemes for listening, reading and writing. Do these and check your answers. It is pointless to do these papers though without checking the mark schemes and correcting your answers as you are otherwise likely to make these mistakes again.
I wish you all the best of luck
clouds343
Rep:
?
ok, thanks so much for the advice, I'll try listening to Spanish radio for a more contextual approach & appreciate the phrases. : )
(Original post by student300581)
I now do alevel Spanish and as someone who is also studying it and came out with an A in their Spanish I would really recommend having Spanish radio on all the time... if your doing other homework or on the bus to school or even getting ready in the morning have the radio on youll be amazed at how much you pick up subconsciously and it will help with pronunciation. rtve.es is one I always have on.

learning your verbs is really important. know the difference between the imperfect and preterite tense. if you really struggle with using verbs have some ready to use phrases that you can slot in if you struggle to lean the whole tense eg
me gusta(n) = I like it (them)
que (accent on the e) pena que= what a shame that
le ruego que = I beg that you.
daria que (accent on the I) = I would say that
he comido/visto/leido (accent on I only for leido) esto antes = I have eaten/seen/read this before
fue mal/bien/bomba = it was bad/good/ a blast (only if it happened one time such as a holiday)
era mal/bien/bomba = it was bad/good/ a blast (something that happened may times... you could describe your primary school as this because it was like this for a long time but if for one specific day you had a good bad ect time you would use the one above)

also in your liseting if you are struggling to think of what to say instead of saying urmmmm or welllllll say pues or Bueno insteal these mean the same ut theyre Spanish so your stalling in the correct language.
also in your listening you will have to at some point ask your examiner a question too or at least I did for my exam but they will not indicate to you when to do this you can ask them whe you want but if you don't you wont be able to get full marks not even if the rest of your Spanish was perfect. you can simple just say and you or you could repeat the question they asked you but just make sure you say one - even if you exam board doesn't require one it will show fluency.
hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (147)
21.18%
The paper was reasonable (337)
48.56%
Not feeling great about that exam... (132)
19.02%
It was TERRIBLE (78)
11.24%

Watched Threads