The Student Room Group

Mathssss

Also could someone help me with this? This is how far I got but I don’t know how to get the length from P-Q

198B38D5-2622-4AC8-9C5B-E0300E009230.jpg.jpeg
Reply 1
5965C685-2A1E-430C-A847-020EE17E9CD4.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Ayaa929
Also could someone help me with this? This is how far I got but I don’t know how to get the length from P-Q

198B38D5-2622-4AC8-9C5B-E0300E009230.jpg.jpeg

You know the y co-ordinate of S and R is 5 so solve that to get the x coords. PQ = SR.
Reply 3
This might be wrong but if you know the y coordinate of S which is 5 then you can put that in the equation and get the d coordinate as well

And since the lines are parallel once you find the the X coordinate of S and R, they’re the same for P and Q
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You know the y co-ordinate of S and R is 5 so solve that to get the x coords. PQ = SR.

So I sub in 5 to the equation and the solve for x?
Original post by Ayaa929
So I sub in 5 to the equation and the solve for x?

Yes ::smile:
So, S and R are the solutions to the quadratic when y=5 (as you know from the y axis)
Therefore 5 = x^2 - 6x + 13

Finding the solutions to this gives you the x coordinates for S and R. Calculate the distance between these two points (the difference in x).

P has the same x coordinate as R , and Q has the same coordinate as S. You also know that length PQ = length SR.
Reply 7
Original post by goldfvnch
So, S and R are the solutions to the quadratic when y=5 (as you know from the y axis)

Finding the solutions to this gives you the x coordinates for S and R. Calculate the distance between these two points (the difference in x).

P has the same x coordinate as R , and Q has the same coordinate as S. You also know that length PQ = length SR.

Thank you so much!
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Yes ::smile:

Thank you so much!!
Reply 9
Original post by goldfvnch

So I got x=4 and x=6... so would I say the distance between s-r is 2?
Yep!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest