What do I do in this situation? Watch

MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So.. It's a pretty crappy situation but here goes.

My boyfriend's brother passed away recently and it's literally broken him (he's already lost his mother and other brother) his funeral is in 2 weeks-ish, and ideally I'd love to be there to support my boyfriend. This is where the issue comes in, I have a 9am exam literally the next day. (One I can't afford to fail as I've already used up my uni "gift" year).

The funeral is back home, which means we're going to be travelling for around 5 hours to get there. (i can barely afford the travel as it is, since my loan hasn't come in yet). What do I do? Do I go with him to the funeral or do I stay home for my exam? I feel like the guilt would just eat me up if I didn't go since he's really not coping well with it. Would it be selfish of me to stay?
hello_shawn
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wasn't at my grandfather's funeral (mother's dad) because I was young and in another country + also at school. So it shouldn't be a problem
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't go. His family is there to support him.

If you **** up your education, it will **** you up for decades to come. Long after you and this lad (likely) break up.
honeykates
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think he'll understand. Just keep in contact with him by text.
sinfonietta
  • Life & Style Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go to your exam.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)

My boyfriend's brother passed away recently and it's literally broken him (he's already lost his mother and other brother) his funeral is in 2 weeks-ish, and ideally I'd love to be there to support my boyfriend. This is where the issue comes in, I have a 9am exam literally the next day. (One I can't afford to fail as I've already used up my uni "gift" year).

The funeral is back home, which means we're going to be travelling for around 5 hours to get there. (i can barely afford the travel as it is, since my loan hasn't come in yet). What do I do? Do I go with him to the funeral or do I stay home for my exam? I feel like the guilt would just eat me up if I didn't go since he's really not coping well with it. Would it be selfish of me to stay?
Talk to him about it -
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by honeykates)
I think he'll understand. Just keep in contact with him by text.
I am sure the invigilators will be OK with OP doing that.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go to the exam. Even if he's upset, he should understand it's just bad timing and that you'd be there under any other circumstances. His family will be there to support him.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He'll understand if you go to the exam. Just tall to him.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)

Go with him. Do your exam some other year. It is a special circumstance!
law001x0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Please, under no circumstances should you not revise for, not be prepared for, or not sit your exam. Your boyfriend should and probably will understand your situation. Your education has to come first; it's very unlikely that this would be seen as an extenuating circumstance so if you fail the exam or don't sit it, it's likely that your marks will be capped to 40%. Your education follows you around for ever and shapes your future. Please think very carefully before you do something you regret for the rest of your life.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by law001x0)
Please, under no circumstances should you not revise for, not be prepared for, or not sit your exam. Your boyfriend should and probably will understand your situation. Your education has to come first; it's very unlikely that this would be seen as an extenuating circumstance so if you fail the exam or don't sit it, it's likely that your marks will be capped to 40%. Your education follows you around for ever and shapes your future. Please think very carefully before you do something you regret for the rest of your life.
Your education,by the way, does not follow you around and shape your future. This is the pervading myth that is attached to the alleged benefits of education. Your average non degree qualified plumber or gas boiler fitter earns far more than a degree qualified newly qualified teacher/doctor!
atleast
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you should go to your exam and spend your time revising
make sure you are there for him though (through phone calls/text/social media)
you guys have to work as a team to get through this
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've spoken to him and I've decided to stay behind and revise for my exam, it's my only real opportunity to do so. He wasn't happy about it but I suppose life isn't always easy. Thanks for the advice guys x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads