The Student Room Group

How to use my free time wisely before uni starts

I have finished my A levels and am waiting to enter university and continue my higher studies in the field of civil engineering. As I have nothing to do until uni starts in september, I would like to get some advice on how to use my free time wisely and what self-studies I should do which could help me with my studies in uni.
Original post by Zumrah
I have finished my A levels and am waiting to enter university and continue my higher studies in the field of civil engineering. As I have nothing to do until uni starts in september, I would like to get some advice on how to use my free time wisely and what self-studies I should do which could help me with my studies in uni.

Unless you have savings, then imo get a job and earn as much money as you can to support your studies and student life. Money helps you buy books and a computer plus helps with things like rent, travel, food and social life.
You may be lucky enough to get one with an engineering firm. The alternative is you can contact your local uni and see if they have need of an extra body in any of their work.

Imo money is more valuable than pre reading. You can ofc get your booklist from the department.
Reply 2
Thanks...:smile:
Reply 3
Have a look at the course content and if there are any areas relating you feel you are weak on, then maybe just refresh them in your head. For Example, I am beginning a Comp Sci degree, so I am brushing up on my Maths and doing an intro to CS course online - which definitely isn't necessary but I would like a head start when it comes to September.

You could contact the university and ask if there is any reading that would be beneficial to do over summer.
Also, enjoy your summer!
(edited 4 years ago)
Some great advice here already! Just to add, have a look at free study skill courses online and try to put them into practice, especially academic reading. Even though universities offer study skills support during your course, why not give yourself a head start on the study skills and start uni on a strong front :smile:

All the best,

Mev, Undergrad rep
Original post by Zumrah

Quick Reply

Latest