Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Its question 2di on this doc

http://www.bengoad.co.uk/userfiles/file/ffe_08_Jun.pdf

these are the answers

http://fdslive.oup.com/www.oup.com/o....pdf?region=uk

Im really confused as to what it means by a negative cos graph because i thought the kinetic energy couldn't be negative would someone be able to draw it out for me? also why is the amplitude 0.6mJ not 1.2mJ?
any help would be great
in a fish bowl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you read the mark scheme it says a negative cos graph oscillating about 0.6mJ ie translated up by 0.6mJ so the graph will always be positive. The amplitude is defined as the maximum displacement from the mean position - in this case the mean position is 0.6mJ so if the amplitude is 0.6mJ you still get a maximum of 1.2mJ. Hope this helps
ella sian
Rep:
?
omg thank you also the answer says that there are two oscillations on the graph why is that because i swear on the graph thats in the question theres only one oscillation
(Original post by in a fish bowl)
If you read the mark scheme it says a negative cos graph oscillating about 0.6mJ ie translated up by 0.6mJ so the graph will always be positive. The amplitude is defined as the maximum displacement from the mean position - in this case the mean position is 0.6mJ so if the amplitude is 0.6mJ you still get a maximum of 1.2mJ. Hope this helps
username3442196
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Odd - I think the markscheme is horribly wrong.
The original graph is velocity, so KE should look like velocity squared - not a cos graph, but a sin squared graph. As such, it'll never go negative and it will have two peaks (one at t = 0.3 one at t = 0.9s).
ella sian
Rep:
?
the thing is its from an exam paper so idk?
(Original post by old_teach)
Odd - I think the markscheme is horribly wrong.
The original graph is velocity, so KE should look like velocity squared - not a cos graph, but a sin squared graph. As such, it'll never go negative and it will have two peaks (one at t = 0.3 one at t = 0.9s).
username3442196
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Markscheme is strangely wrong - if I'd noticed before I'd complained, 2008 is a bit long ago though!
I'm a bit pedantic when it comes to Physics, I like things to be correct, and I would be very ashamed of that answer - even though I know they'd wave their hands and say 'cosine style'. I expect the person who wrote the answer has retired now, so we should probably move on!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (142)
21.16%
The paper was reasonable (327)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.78%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.33%

Watched Threads