polymurs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'll be memorising A Poison Tree and Belfast Confetti and learning context for each of the poems. But what else should I do?

Thank you!!
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Try to come up with as many comparisons as you can for your poems. I'd also suggest learning some quotes from a couple other poems just in case
Kotrii10
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I don't think memorizing a poison tree and Belfast confetti is a good idea since it came up in the previous two years and it's unlikely it'll come up this year. But I'd learn context for all the poems(you never know what'll come up!), just a couple of context points for each poem would be enough and make sure to learn the form of each Poem too. Also learn how you'd compare each poem in the exam, just pick out 3/4 quotes from each poem and compare them
polymurs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
my plan was to memorise those two poems so i could compare them to whatever poem came up; but i'm mainly worried about structuring the answer i'm not great at that
(Original post by KotrynaB)
I don't think memorizing a poison tree and Belfast confetti is a good idea since it came up in the previous two years and it's unlikely it'll come up this year. But I'd learn context for all the poems(you never know what'll come up!), just a couple of context points for each poem would be enough and make sure to learn the form of each Poem too. Also learn how you'd compare each poem in the exam, just pick out 3/4 quotes from each poem and compare them
Kotrii10
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by polymurs)
my plan was to memorise those two poems so i could compare them to whatever poem came up; but i'm mainly worried about structuring the answer i'm not great at that
whilst I don't think it's a bad idea, but what would you do if let's say half caste came up? it's not really comparable to Belfast confetti or a poison tree.Besides you also need to know the context for both poems to pick up the highest Marks and if you haven't learnt anything for the poem in the exam you'd lose out on some quite easy marks. So I think it's best that you knew all poems roughly but knew a couple of different ones in detail. For structuring I'd say compare them in terms of structure/form, a language device, another language device. And discuss ideas and meaning somewhere in that too. Alternatively, you could compare them on the basis of ideas/theme so for e.g. for half caste and no problem, you could say that both writers attempt to challenge stereotypes against the colour of people's skin as one of your points, you'd then use evidence from the poems to back it up. However, as long as you compare the poems and alternate between them, you should be ok. The examiners have said they take any type of comparison style BUT YOU NEED TO ALTERNATE BETWEEN THE POEMS.You just need to make sure you cover form,context, structure and language. You can structure it similarly to how you'd do it for the language paper question 7b. Also make sure to have differences and similarities in your comparison essay. Personally, I do 3 comparison paragraphs because I simply run out of time most of the time. But having said that, my comparative paragraphs are usually really detailed so if your analysis isn't sophisticated enough, I'd say try doing four comparative paragraphs (2differences, 2 similraties). Also don't forget you need an introduction and a conclusion in addition to your 3/4 comparative paragraphs. It sounds like loads, and literally is 😂 all English exams are highly demanding (in my opinion anyway) so do try your best. The examiners are told to mark positively and at the end of the day your best is all you can do so dw about it too much, besides English language is the one you need to pass anyway. Also what grade are you aiming for?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (64)
15.72%
Uncertainty around my education (72)
17.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (39)
9.58%
Isolating with family (24)
5.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (16)
3.93%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (31)
7.62%
Loneliness (39)
9.58%
Financial worries (14)
3.44%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (40)
9.83%
Exposure to negative news/social media (29)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (39)
9.58%

Watched Threads