Just passed my test but I’m a really nervous driver Watch

RLK01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I passed my test a few weeks ago. I was quite impressed with how quick I went through my lessons. I passed second time but only waited 2 weeks to do the test again. Overall only done 20 lessons.

But when I passed and got my car, for some reason everything I learned went out the window. I felt like I lost the ability to reverse a car into a parking space or check my mirrors.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Joe_01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’ll get better the more you drive, generally the first 500 miles of driving after passing are the most anxious! Congrats on passing though!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It happens. The more you drive the quicker the feelings go away.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I think that's kind of normal.

I did the same after I passed and got my first car, because i didn't have anywhere i NEEDED to drive to, my use was pretty sporadic so the feelings of anxiety over it kind of built up...Learning how to control a car with an instructor is one thing, making all the decisions yourself is another.

TBH I only really got over it when a family remember went to a rural hospital long term 40 odd miles away as it really took me out of my comfort zone, it was a long, complicated drive i had to just do.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
RLK01, you kind of have the right attitude. Far better to be a bit nervous than to think you're Lewis Hamilton now and can go racing round the streets, showing off to your friends.

Stay alert at all times when driving. Do not let your phone or others in the car distract you. Ever.

You will really learn to drive over the next 100,000 miles. During that time there's a fairly high chance you will have at least 1 major accident. Obviously try your best not to. But don't worry too much about it. It takes an accident or 2 under your belt to make you a complete driver. After that amount of miles you should start to be getting pretty good at reading the road and what's going on around you, anticipating the mistakes and bad driving of others, being able to cope with different conditions including snow and ice. And you should then go for many many years without any accidents. The car will become an extension of you, so that you are controlling it automatically at all times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
22.62%
The paper was reasonable (395)
45.82%
Not feeling great about that exam... (158)
18.33%
It was TERRIBLE (114)
13.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed