The Student Room Group

Do you still have to pay for uni if you leave or don't go?

For example, if you accept a university offer on UCAS but decide not to go - do you still pay?

Or, if you leave near the beginning of the course after realising it's not right?

Or, if you leave later on throughout your studies?
Reply 1
If you accept on UCAS but dont go then you dont pay. If you leave during the course then you will have to pay back the loans you have used (assuming you got student finance).... although i believe you wouldn't have to pay it back until you are earning a certain amount?
Reply 2
Original post by Jenx301
If you accept on UCAS but dont go then you dont pay. If you leave during the course then you will have to pay back the loans you have used (assuming you got student finance).... although i believe you wouldn't have to pay it back until you are earning a certain amount?

Yeah that's the only thing I know about, you only pay back the money once you earn over 25k
Original post by Jenx301

you have to pay any overpaid maintenance loan, but the tution fee isn't until you met the income threshold.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
you have to pay any overpaid maintenance loan, but the tution fee isn't until you met the income threshold.

Oh boy so you do have to pay..

Ah can't make a decision then as to what university I should go to seeing as there's this much risk ;(
Original post by Anonymous

Ah can't make a decision then as to what university I should go to seeing as there's this much risk ;(

I wouldnt panic about that, they can be quite reasonable about it, i was overpaid £300 of my loan and they offered to let me pay it back at £5 a month initially.
Reply 6
I wouldnt panic about that, they can be quite reasonable about it, i was overpaid £300 of my loan and they offered to let me pay it back at £5 a month initially.

Really? Only £5??

What do you mean by overpaid by the way?

If you don't go then you are not enrolled and there should be nothing to pay.
Really? Only £5??

What do you mean by overpaid by the way?

if you leave the middle of term then you owe them some of your maintenance loan which you have to pay back.
Reply 9

Oh so if you quit part way through you have to pay back maintenance immediately? well officially but I assume you can negotiate a repayment schedule
if you leave the middle of term then you owe them some of your maintenance loan which you have to pay back.

Ah ok, but what if you apply for student finance and get a loan but do not attend university/choose not to do the course?
Original post by Jenx301
Oh so if you quit part way through you have to pay back maintenance immediately? well officially but I assume you can negotiate a repayment schedule

yes they'll let you negotiate a repayment schedule if you've a reason you can't give it back in full.
yes they'll let you negotiate a repayment schedule if you've a reason you can't give it back in full.

I thought you only paid back any loans once you earn over 25,000 though?
I thought you only paid back any loans once you earn over 25,000 though?

that's once you graduate or if you've completed a whole term, if you quite mid way through the term they've given you money you weren't entitled too.

Quick Reply

Latest