New OCR MEI Mathematics grade boundaries

Watch
elonmuskrat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone.

I'm taking the new H640 MEI Mathematics course and sitting the exams in a month. As there is only one official past paper (which I don't even understand who sat it if the course had only been available for 1 year) I'm not too sure what to expect in terms of grade boundaries?

Does anyone else have an idea of what I should expect markwise for an A?
Thelawguy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They are bloody difficult......
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by elonmuskrat)
Hi everyone.

I'm taking the new H640 MEI Mathematics course and sitting the exams in a month. As there is only one official past paper (which I don't even understand who sat it if the course had only been available for 1 year) I'm not too sure what to expect in terms of grade boundaries?

Does anyone else have an idea of what I should expect markwise for an A?
People who sat it are Further Maths students whose school does Maths in Year 12 and Further Maths in Year 13.

Last year it was 197/275 for an A but this could well change depending on how difficult this year's exam is.

The fact it was sat by only FM students last year does not mean it will necessarily be lower this year.
elonmuskrat
Rep:
?
I agree, some of the papers are painfully hard...

I had a flicker of joy when I read it was only FM students who took it, then when you mentioned it doesn’t necessarily mean it will be lower that joy vanished 😂
Thelawguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wdym by only FM students take it.......???
In my school that’s the only option if you want to do maths a level
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Thelawguy)
Wdym by only FM students take it.......???
In my school that’s the only option if you want to do maths a level
Maybe wasn't clear. Schools can either do FM either learn single maths and further maths at the same time and sit them both at the end of year 13, or they can learn sit Maths A-level in year 12 and sit Further Maths in Year 13. The sitting of the new spec in 2018 was because there was enough demand from the former group.
Thelawguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ohh right thanks for clarifying
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree, some of the papers are painfully hard...

I had a flicker of joy when I read it was only FM students who took it, then when you mentioned it doesn’t necessarily mean it will be lower that joy vanished 😂
The big thing with exams is consistency. It wouldn't be fair if someone who sat the exam in 2018 who got an A, would've got an A* had they sat the 2019 paper. FWIW, not many subjects saw significant changes in grade boundaries between 2017 (the first sitting of the new linear A-levels) and 2018. (some went up a little, others went down a little) It's (mostly) down to the difficulty of the exam in the end.
jasmine_GCSE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _gcx)
The big thing with exams is consistency. It wouldn't be fair if someone who sat the exam in 2018 who got an A, would've got an A* had they sat the 2019 paper. FWIW, not many subjects saw significant changes in grade boundaries between 2017 (the first sitting of the new linear A-levels) and 2018. (some went up a little, others went down a little) It's (mostly) down to the difficulty of the exam in the end.
This is not true at all. In matter of fact they have to marry the percentage of people who got certain grades. Therefore if the top 15% got an a* the same would be true of this year and if the marks of those in the top 15% this year were significantly lower than those last year, the percentage to get that grade would also be significantly lower. I’m not saying the grade boundaries are going to drop significantly, but I highly highly doubt they will be the same as last year when only a tiny group of further mathematicians sat the paper.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jasmine_GCSE)
This is not true at all. In matter of fact they have to marry the percentage of people who got certain grades. Therefore if the top 15% got an a* the same would be true of this year and if the marks of those in the top 15% this year were significantly lower than those last year, the percentage to get that grade would also be significantly lower. I’m not saying the grade boundaries are going to drop significantly, but I highly highly doubt they will be the same as last year when only a tiny group of further mathematicians sat the paper.
It's not always as rigid as "top x%". They also look at candidate's scripts to gauge the quality of work around the borderlines too.

Anyway. Because of the unusual cohort (the majority planning to sit further maths in 2019) the cohort was generally stronger than normal, so they had to accomodate for this with the grade boundaries.

This is to maintain comparable outcomes year on year. 30% of people achieved an A* in the new spec last year, compared to 14% in the old 2008 specification, on Edexcel, for instance. It would be unfair for an A*-quality candidate in the lower half of that 30% to achieve an A just because their school chose to deliver further maths in a different way.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If the grade boundaries hadn't been changed to account for the ability of the cohort then you would be correct - it would be obvious that the grade boundaries would be lower this year because last year they were FM students.

But since they were changed, in theory 2019 exams of similar difficulty to 2018 should produce similar grade boundaries. There are too many variables to know this for sure though and Ofqual have advised against trying to predict grade boundaries based on the 2018 boundaries.
MrMoment
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m doing OCR MEI too.

I thought the OCR MEI 2018 series was nice, and actually slightly easier than other exams boards.

No idea what boundaries will be, but I’m personally expecting the boundaries to go up - wouldn’t surprise me if A* was 85-90%.

Hopefully lower though.
Last edited by MrMoment; 2 years ago
jasmine_GCSE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _gcx)
It's not always as rigid as "top x%". They also look at candidate's scripts to gauge the quality of work around the borderlines too.

Anyway. Because of the unusual cohort (the majority planning to sit further maths in 2019) the cohort was generally stronger than normal, so they had to accomodate for this with the grade boundaries.

This is to maintain comparable outcomes year on year. 30% of people achieved an A* in the new spec last year, compared to 14% in the old 2008 specification, on Edexcel, for instance. It would be unfair for an A*-quality candidate in the lower half of that 30% to achieve an A just because their school chose to deliver further maths in a different way.
The number of pupils who took the same exam last year was below 20. The grade boundaries will be different
elonmuskrat
Rep:
?
The number of pupils who took the same exam last year was below 20. The grade boundaries will be different
Would be interested to know where you get 20 from? Source?
jasmine_GCSE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would be interested to know where you get 20 from? Source?
It was in the mid teens, can’t remember the exact number. Head of our maths department found out for us, you can probably find the number somewhere online
sebhma
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My maths HOD said the same. Everyone in my school is doing so much worse this year.
It was in the mid teens, can’t remember the exact number. Head of our maths department found out for us, you can probably find the number somewhere online
Thelawguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sebhma)
My maths HOD said the same. Everyone in my school is doing so much worse this year.
Thank god I’m not alone......performance in my school is appalling too
lionike123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am always getting 50 out of the 100. Am i the only one?
jasmine_GCSE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lionike123)
I am always getting 50 out of the 100. Am i the only one?
Don’t worry, literally same here. It seems everyone is struggling, hopefully it will be reflected in the boundaries
lionike123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can get higher than 50 but i run out of time. They poorly time the exam.
Don’t worry, literally same here. It seems everyone is struggling, hopefully it will be reflected in the boundaries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.17%
England (108)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.41%
Germany (38)
11.84%
Spain (6)
1.87%
Italy (30)
9.35%
Netherlands (10)
3.12%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
5.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise