im in year 11 and i want to study
english literature
psychology
economics
ORIGINALLY I CHOSE;
english lit and lang combined
business studies
psychology

im not sure what i want tot do when im older,and ive been non stopped worried about first my gcses and now idk if these are okay
i do business now and i like but ive heard a lot its a soft subject, is there a lot of maths econmics cus i hate maths, but idm if its not toomuch i dont generally do well in maths , (5s sometimes 6s)
id rather do english lit than combined as it is counted as facilitating
psychology- i like the idea of it!
i dont want these subjects to limit me!
im so so stressed can somebody give me their opinions i would appreciate it so so so much thanks a ton
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by laugh72)
I want to study
english literature
psychology
economics
ORIGINALLY I CHOSE:
business studies
psychology
I think these are good choices. Economics and English Lit definitely look better than Business and English Lang. Psychology is even considered as a science by some universities. They are varied and will be acceptable for a lot of courses (obviously excluding select ones such as science degrees).

If you aren't sure about economics, go to the economics teacher at your school and tell them your maths grades as see what they say. I think there is a fair amount of math so business may be better for you but there's a lot of help available and if you think it's important to your future then you should try to do it. Look at the economics spec (for the exam board your school will teach you) and see if you like the look of the course.

Just make sure you will definitely enjoy them and have looked at the course you'll be doing. Good luck
Last edited by bfm.mcdermott; 4 weeks ago
barror1
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To be totally honest, with a 5/6 in maths you need to consider how you will cope with the jump to A-level. Even students with 8/9 grades really struggle with it. I depends how closely you want to stick to the humanities- both literature and history are facilitating subjects and psychology is more of a maybe. Depends who you talk to.
To keep your options open, have you considered any of the sciences? Biology seems to be a popular one and will count as a facilitating subject.
Also remember that a lot of university courses (though not all) are not too strict on subject combinations as long as you meet the compulsory stuff.
Feel free to ask any questions and I really hope this helps :hugs:
laugh72
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
I think these are good choices. Economics and English Lit definitely look better than Business and English Lang. Psychology is even considered as a science by some universities. They are varied and will be acceptable for a lot of courses (obviously excluding select ones such as science degrees).

If you aren't sure about economics, go to the economics teacher at your school and tell them your maths grades as see what they say. I think there is a fair amount of math so business may be better for you but there's a lot of help available and if you think it's important to your future then you should try to do it. Look at the economics spec (for the exam board your school will teach you) and see if you like the look of the course.

Just make sure you will definitely enjoy them and have looked at the course you'll be doing. Good luck
Thank u so so much for ur advice !
I haven’t studied economics before , it’s only available in college for us
Much appreciated xo
Nx23
Badges: 9
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey I'm in year 11 too so I know exactly how you are feeling, it's completely okay to not know what you want to do in the future at this moment of time - I don't know either! Stressing will only make matters worse if you need to you should take a day off to destress go out with friends or family to get your mind off it. As for A levels don't worry about it too much you still have till after your GCSES so I advice you do revision now and focus on that mainly. 5s and 6s in maths are great grades as long as you pass you wont have to worry about retaking, my brothers did economics and compared to business there is more maths involved and business is a great A level to do too. Whether you choose to do English literature or literature and language they are both good choice, I would say literature would be harder as there would be more difficult texts to analyse but as long as you understand and feel comfortable picking it then go for it. Pick the A levels which you would enjoy doing and listen to your gut, do what you enjoy as at the end of the day you will have to do these for the next two years and after reading your choices they don't sound limiting at all so do not worry. Good luck for your exams too x If you need to talk feel free to message me.
(Original post by laugh72)
thank u in advance for reading this
im in year 11 and i want to study
english literature
psychology
economics
ORIGINALLY I CHOSE;
business studies
psychology

im not sure what i want tot do when im older,and ive been non stopped worried about first my gcses and now idk if these are okay
i do business now and i like but ive heard a lot its a soft subject, is there a lot of maths econmics cus i hate maths, but idm if its not toomuch i dont generally do well in maths , (5s sometimes 6s)
id rather do english lit than combined as it is counted as facilitating
psychology- i like the idea of it!
i dont want these subjects to limit me!
im so so stressed can somebody give me their opinions i would appreciate it so so so much thanks a ton
WolfofGatsby
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As a Year 13, I take Business, English Lit and Law and I also have some friends who take Economics and Psychology. From what I’ve heard, Economics is very interesting and doesn’t actually have that much Maths in it, so it would be a pretty good shout. In relation to Business, it used to be considered a lot softer than it is and is actually pretty respected now, compared to the main A-levels that are considered soft these days, such as Media Studies, Theatre Studies and Sports Studies, unless you’re taking them in order to pursue a Career or Degree in a similar field. English Lit is facilitating so would definitely be better than a combined option and as long as you’re interested in it, it’s not too difficult to do well in it. Psychology wise, it’s supposed to be very interesting and gives you loads of insight that could help you in the future, especially if you end up running a business. The only downside being that there’s a lot of content to learn, but if you use your Frees and spare time wisely then you’ll be in a good position.
Lxra._
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So first consider a future career or degree you want, and what is required. If you're still not sure dont worry choose alevels that you know you'll achieve highly and preferably "solid alevels" if you're considering a Russel group . I'm currently Year 13 taking both Psychology and Economics, they are both essay based ( as is lit), so make sure you'll cope learning that much content.

I personally find economics harder as you need to learn the content but also apply it to case studies. Psychology is like this too but less intense.

As long as you have the work ethic and motivation you'll be fine,
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?