St. Andrews or Glasgow? Watch

eva1234567
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m an Irish student and have offers from uni of St Andrews and uni of Glasgow for biological sciences. Glasgow is asking for 589 leaving cert points (3 H1s and 3 H2s), while the other has asked for 560 points / 2 H1s specifically. I went to visit both of them, and really enjoyed both for different reasons.

Course: I’d be happy with either course, they’re both extremely flexible although I found that the professors at St Andrews seemed v enthusiastic and friendly. Didn’t get to see them at Glasgow as it wasn’t an open day, any insight into this?
Campus: I prefer Glasgow’s campus but do love the close community at St Andrews
Accommodation: more expensive at St. Andrews but higher quality it seems, also harder to find in later years than in Glasgow
Social/Student life: pretty hard to compare the two here, polar opposites. I love the city life/clubbing & nights out, but the closeness of St Andrews could be really unique, there’s all my life for a city if I need it. Would I be bored there? I’m really keen on the music scene in Glasgow too..
Reputation: I need more answers for this. I know st. andrews has the prestige but are they really that different for their biology or science courses? Since I’d probably like to do a masters, I do care about the reputation, but to put it in perspective Glasgow is still ranked a good bit higher than any of the Irish unis. (Although I know rankings can be inconsistent)

Would really love some other opinions. Parents really want me to go to St. andrews as it’s so safe and ‘prestigious’ and really want to hear another side! I’m sure i’ll be happy either way. Should I just firm Glasgow as it’s higher grades anyway?
thisisatrek
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally just rejected a St. Andrews offer because of it being such a small place, I recommend picking one where you’d be happier and not due to its prestige
eva1234567
Rep:
?
Yeah, it’s definitely tiny. Thank you for replying though, where are you headed?
(Original post by thisisatrek)
Personally just rejected a St. Andrews offer because of it being such a small place, I recommend picking one where you’d be happier and not due to its prestige
thisisatrek
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Medicine at Sheffield
(Original post by eva1234567)
Yeah, it’s definitely tiny. Thank you for replying though, where are you headed?
eva1234567
Rep:
?
Fair play, I’m sure you’ll have a ball
(Original post by thisisatrek)
Medicine at Sheffield
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you love the city life/nights out, St Andrews is probably the worst place you could pick in the whole of the UK. You would be bored I can guarantee it.

It's very pretty but literally tiny - a lot of golf shops and the like and barely anything to do.

St. Andrews is excellent and does have the prestige but don't choose purely on reputation as an employer won't really care if you go to St. Andrews over Glasgow or vice versa because Glasgow is still a very good university.

The best advice I can give is to go with your gut instinct as it's usually right and based off what you've said, I'd sway towards Glasgow. And don't choose somewhere purely to appease your parents; it's you that's studying there for 3 years, not them.
eva1234567
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for this response, think I needed this to tip me over the edge hahah
(Original post by Arisapo)
If you love the city life/nights out, St Andrews is probably the worst place you could pick in the whole of the UK. You would be bored I can guarantee it.

It's very pretty but literally tiny - a lot of golf shops and the like and barely anything to do.

St. Andrews is excellent and does have the prestige but don't choose purely on reputation as an employer won't really care if you go to St. Andrews over Glasgow or vice versa because Glasgow is still a very good university.

The best advice I can give is to go with your gut instinct as it's usually right and based off what you've said, I'd sway towards Glasgow. And don't choose somewhere purely to appease your parents; it's you that's studying there for 3 years, not them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads