fluff.floof
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So my English teacher gave us a practice seen poetry question and it was to compare the presentation of new love in Love’s Philosophy with another poem of our choice. I’m in Year 10 so haven’t covered all the poems but aside from that I’m struggling to even find anything about new love in Love’s Philosophy- the narrator’s not even in a relationship!
Help would be much appreciated as English is not my strong subject, to say the least
henry1999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would begin by doing some research on the poem, its GCSE and the internet is overflowing with lots of analysis, all done for you (such as below: )

https://www.tutorfair.com/blog/loves...bysshe-shelley

https://poemanalysis.com/loves-philo...poem-analysis/

However, part of the issue you are faced with is the way you are percieving love. You need to open your mind slightly, love isn't confined to romance, particularly in the case of romantic poets, who frequently express love for nature or God. My perception on first glance is that he's using a love for nature and the way nature interacts with other components of nature to express, his love for another person and his wish to 'interact' with that person.

From reading the above, it seems that he is in love with somebody, who doesn't love him back or he shouldn't be in love with. Either way, in the context of the time is likely to be viewed as 'immature love', regardless of whether it is the latter or the former.

In the highly restrictive confines of GCSE I imagine what they want you to say (based on the above) is that the new love may not be reciprocated or realistic. In addition, arguably its stating its an uncontrolable emotion that isn't necessarily desireable (the poet appears to be going through some anguish).

In regard to a poem that you could use to compare this with, potentially Shakespeare's sonnet 40, or sonnet 65. If you want something from the romantic period you could use 'Dejection: An Ode' by Samuel T. Coleridge.

Either way, I suggest you leverage the internet for this, it's reemed with material for GCSE students.
Last edited by henry1999; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (360)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads