Lancaster, Oxford Brooks or York Watch

Lisa_00
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everybody!

I got an offer at Lancaster, Oxford Brooks and York for my Masters. Not quite sure which one I should pick. I like the curriculum at Lancaster and Oxford Brooks more but I am not quite sure about the reputation and the cities in general.

Please help
Last edited by Lisa_00; 4 weeks ago
Durham_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lisa_00)
Hi everybody!

I got an offer at Lancaster, Oxford Brooks and York for my Masters. Not quite sure which one I should pick. I like the curriculum at Lancaster and Oxford Brooks more but I am not quite sure about the reputation and the cities in general.

Please help
Hi,

It's great to have such wonderful offers! I think reputation and rankings wise, Lancaster and York are superior to Oxford Brookes. I would pick a strong university such as Lancaster or York that will certainly place you in a good position once you graduate.

In addition, go for the course you seem to be enjoy the most and that will also make the most of it!

Good luck with your decision!
Lisa_00
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you know what Lancaster University is like? eg Student live?
(Original post by Durham_)
Hi,

It's great to have such wonderful offers! I think reputation and rankings wise, Lancaster and York are superior to Oxford Brookes. I would pick a strong university such as Lancaster or York that will certainly place you in a good position once you graduate.

In addition, go for the course you seem to be enjoy the most and that will also make the most of it!

Good luck with your decision!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lancaster has a reputation of being very quiet - fine if you like that.
Oxford is a much more 'glamorous' city with much more to do, but more expensive.
York, can't comment except Uni campus is lovely.

Ignore 'rankings', they mean nothing and are designed to market newspapers that sponsor them, that's all.
Most employers don't look at rankings, and wouldn't understand them even if they did.
And remember, its the course that you'll be studying for 3 years, not the University.

And read this :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
Then do the final test with pieces of paper. And decide today.
Durham_
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lisa_00)
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you know what Lancaster University is like? eg Student live?
I have never been, but from my experience on TSR and seeing recommendations online, it seems to be a great place for student life. Plenty of societies to choose from, excellent facilities, all sorts of sports and clubs. It is a really nice campus with a fantastic and modern library!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Durham_)
I have never been, but from my experience on TSR and seeing recommendations online, it seems to be a great place for student life. Plenty of societies to choose from, excellent facilities, all sorts of sports and clubs. It is a really nice campus with a fantastic and modern library!
But .... Lancaster itself is tiny and not very exciting. Suits some people but others find it frustrating!
Durham_
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If everyone liked white, there wouldn't be any blue. Lancaster and York are the best choices here and with the best graduate prospects! Rankings exist not to be ignored but to shed a light on entry standards, how students like the quality of teaching, research intensity, etc.

Nevertheless, the course content is in fact important, but education is, certainly is this day and age, an investment and a costly one!
(Original post by returnmigrant)
But .... Lancaster itself is tiny and not very exciting. Suits some people but others find it frustrating!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (386)
25.96%
The paper was reasonable (643)
43.24%
Not feeling great about that exam (295)
19.84%
It was TERRIBLE (163)
10.96%

Watched Threads