How do i get high grades for eng lit and eng lang? GCSE Watch

miss_ambitious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I don't mind if we did different specs, jut any general tips and advice? I am doing AQA and studying An inspector calls, Frankenstein, Macbeth and power and conflict for poetry.
Corps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m guessing you pretty much already know what you’re doing but I’ve told a few people about how I was taught to write essays and they’ve been blown away 😂
I used formulas to structure my thoughts and essays for lit. My intro would be one sentence (the message) and for the paragraphs I’d always used PETEL and then in conclusion I’d reiterate the message, perhaps more concisely, but it would be more about the effect on the reader. But PETEL was my lifesaver.

Point - e.g. Shelley uses themes of alienation and abandonment to explore the dangers of scientific development

Evidence - “miserable monster”, “the beauty of the dream had vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart”

Technique - alliteration, contrast

Explaination Effect - othering and lack of commitment to plans cause destruction due to the lack of care (also for a bit of context, the enlightenment era or problems of industrialisation or bring back the idea of the cautionary tale, Victors abandonment of the creature is the cause of all his problems) Effect, suggestive of the duty humanity has to its creation make people more cautious of ai, cloning etc/ brings forward the nature or nurture question

Link - (usually the beginning of the next paragraph) e.g. Through this, the author suggests that scientific development is in need of clear limitations and the problem of ambition before consequence.

I used it like a sort of check list to always ensure that my answers had everything I needed. You might not need as much for English language, I guess this will help more with the reading part. I did AQA btw, though it was a while back. Keep doing practice questions and papers, timed conditions, mindmaps. Hope this was somewhat helpful.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Corps; 4 weeks ago
miss_ambitious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Corps)
I’m guessing you pretty much already know what you’re doing but I’ve told a few people about how I was taught to write essays and they’ve been blown away 😂
I used formulas to structure my thoughts and essays for lit. My intro would be one sentence (the message) and for the paragraphs I’d always used PETEL and then in conclusion I’d reiterate the message, perhaps more concisely, but it would be more about the effect on the reader. But PETEL was my lifesaver.

Point - e.g. Shelley uses themes of alienation and abandonment to explore the dangers of scientific development

Evidence - “miserable monster”, “the beauty of the dream had vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart”

Technique - alliteration, contrast

Explaination Effect - othering and lack of commitment to plans cause destruction due to the lack of care (also for a bit of context, the enlightenment era or problems of industrialisation or bring back the idea of the cautionary tale, Victors abandonment of the creature is the cause of all his problems) Effect, suggestive of the duty humanity has to its creation make people more cautious of ai, cloning etc/ brings forward the nature or nurture question

Link - (usually the beginning of the next paragraph) e.g. Through this, the author suggests that scientific development is in need of clear limitations and the problem of ambition before consequence.

I used it like a sort of check list to always ensure that my answers had everything I needed. You might not need as much for English language, I guess this will help more with the reading part. I did AQA btw, though it was a while back. Keep doing practice questions and papers, timed conditions, mindmaps. Hope this was somewhat helpful.
TYSM!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads