_.angelica._
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What revision strategies or techniques have you used to get a competitive score on the BMAT? I would like to apply to competitive medicine universities (UCL, Imperial) so really need advice on how to do well on the BMAT as I understand it is quite an important part of the shortlisting process.
meddad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _.angelica._)
What revision strategies or techniques have you used to get a competitive score on the BMAT? I would like to apply to competitive medicine universities (UCL, Imperial) so really need advice on how to do well on the BMAT as I understand it is quite an important part of the shortlisting process.
I have seen @usycool1 give some advice on this - they may be able to help.

Don't forget the majority of Med Schools use UKCAT rather than BMAT, so it's probably unwise to focus solely on BMAT.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One key tip is to sit it before the application deadline if you can - then if you do get a terrible score (as lots of very able people do!) you haven't wasted application choices!

I'd suggest doing all the past paper Qs and lots of questions from another source (there are books etc) and making sure you stick to the timing and making sure you analyse why you got wrong the ones you got wrong.

In many ways its a test that is hard to prepare for. However, its so important that you must prepare lots anyway. Good luck.
_.angelica._
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your replies. In regards to just focusing on BMAT, I feel like if I concentrate on 1 admissions exam I am more likely to do better on it, and the universities that require BMAT I would be quite happy to go to anyway, so I feel like this is better for me.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your replies. In regards to just focusing on BMAT, I feel like if I concentrate on 1 admissions exam I am more likely to do better on it, and the universities that require BMAT I would be quite happy to go to anyway, so I feel like this is better for me.
Don't think this is a good idea.

So, even if you sit the BMAT in August, you won't get the results until its too late to sit the UKCAT. (UKCAT
deadline 18th Sept, BMAT results 20th Sept)

Can I ask what your plan is if you get a bad BMAT result then? I know you're confident and do well in all your schoolwork and all that, but so does everyone who sits the BMAT. I was one of 4 people to sit the BMAT in my school. The other 3 went on to get excellent A-level grades - I think at least AAB in all cases. I was the only one to score above a 5.0 in any section. Two of them got scores in the 3s. So if that happens to you - what is your plan?

Plenty of people apply to only UKCAT unis of course. But the difference there is that there are loads of UKCAT unis some of which don't attach much weighting to it. If you get a bad result, you change where you're applying and/or you sit the BMAT. Not really an option if you're doing BMAT only though.

Also I think the whole logic is just wrong. You can sit the UKCAT from 1st July and early BMAT is August 31st. That's a whole 2 months to prepare, much of which will be school holiday so no other school work to distract. In fact, its probably better if you don't start preparing before that date, not unless its very preliminary work - you don't want to peak too early.

Do you take maths or further maths (they correlate slightly with a better result)?

Its quite possible you will be fine. However, you know, half of people get a below average result! And if that happens to you, its devastating. I think this is an unnecessary risk. If you do do this... well that BMAT becomes by far the most important test of your life so far, probably for your whole life subsequently too, so you better be prepared!
Last edited by nexttime; 1 year ago
mnnbv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Don't think this is a good idea.

So, even if you sit the BMAT in August, you won't get the results until its too late to sit the UKCAT, am I correct?

Can I ask what your plan is if you get a bad BMAT result then? I know you're confident and do well in all your schoolwork and all that, but so does everyone who sits the BMAT. I was one of 4 people to sit the BMAT in my school. The other 3 went on to get excellent A-level grades - I think at least AAB in all cases. I was the only one to score above a 5.0 in any section. Two of them got scores in the 3s. So if that happens to you - what is your plan?

Plenty of people apply to only UKCAT unis of course. But the difference there is that there are loads of UKCAT unis some of which don't attach much weighting to it. If you get a bad result, you change where you're applying. Not really an option for the BMAT.

Also I think the whole logic is just wrong. You can sit the UKCAT from 1st July and early BMAT is August 31st. That's a whole 2 months to prepare, much of which will be school holiday so no other school work to distract.

Do you take maths or further maths (they correlate slightly with a better result)?

Its quite possible you will be fine. However, you know, half of people get a below average result! And if that happens to you, its devastating. I think this is an unnecessary risk.
I agree.
I am in year 13, and have successfully obtained places to study Medicine.
Just doing the BMAT is a mistake.
BMAT university interviews are often hard let alone the BMAT itself.
It is better to go for 2 BMAT universities MAX.
Also, I would concentrate on your A levels right now.
It is far to early to start prepping, you will run out of practise materials.
Practise for maximum 5 weeks for UKCAT.
This will leave ample time for BMAT revision
_.angelica._
Rep:
?
I do biology, chemistry, maths and further maths, and I think in that case I’ll do the UKCAT as well. My school advisor was the person who advised me to do only 1 exam, but I now understand that that is a bad idea. I’m just worried that 6 weeks is not enough to get a really high score, and I would like to prepare a bit earlier. Since most of it is critical thinking and problem solving do you think it’s a good idea if I read some books on critical thinking? Thank you again for your replies.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do biology, chemistry, maths and further maths, and I think in that case I’ll do the UKCAT as well. My school advisor was the person who advised me to do only 1 exam, but I now understand that that is a bad idea. I’m just worried that 6 weeks is not enough to get a really high score, and I would like to prepare a bit earlier. Since most of it is critical thinking and problem solving do you think it’s a good idea if I read some books on critical thinking? Thank you again for your replies.
So, I don't usually share this as its anecdotal and the message it sends is not productive but you might be interested to know that the only preparation I personally did was one past paper and I got an exceptionally good score (7.8, 9.0 in S1+2). I do think that the benefits of preparation for the BMAT are limited, and that 6 weeks is more than enough to be optimally prepared.

Also I think the UKCAT is not terrible preparation for section 1 of BMAT tbh

The other option is to sit BMAT at the end of October which gives you ages. Obviously that's after the deadline though and will be whilst you have other school work going on.

In terms of the books: if you only aim is a good exam result I'd personally focus on exam-specific material. There is plenty of it around - books, websites etc. Books on general critical thinking... a good skill in general, but probably as good as focused preparation.
_.angelica._
Rep:
?
So, I don't usually share this as its anecdotal and the message it sends is not productive but you might be interested to know that the only preparation I personally did was one past paper and I got an exceptionally good score (7.8, 9.0 in S1+2). I do think that the benefits of preparation for the BMAT are limited, and that 6 weeks is more than enough to be optimally prepared.

Also I think the UKCAT is not terrible preparation for section 1 of BMAT tbh

The other option is to sit BMAT at the end of October which gives you ages. Obviously that's after the deadline though and will be whilst you have other school work going on.

In terms of the books: if you only aim is a good exam result I'd personally focus on exam-specific material. There is plenty of it around - books, websites etc. Books on general critical thinking... a good skill in general, but probably as good as focused preparation.
That gives me a bit of reassurance, thank you. Just one last question, do you suggest revising for the UKCAT and BMAT at the same time, or separately? Which would be more effective?
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That gives me a bit of reassurance, thank you. Just one last question, do you suggest revising for the UKCAT and BMAT at the same time, or separately? Which would be more effective?
Well they're separate exams that will need different preparation. I would aim to do the significant majority of revision for both in the 4-6 weeks prior to each, not earlier.
_.angelica._
Rep:
?
Well they're separate exams that will need different preparation. I would aim to do the significant majority of revision for both in the 4-6 weeks prior to each, not earlier.
Okay then, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads