Taking supplements to help with sleep = a good idea? Watch

SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Really want my sleep to be on point but it’s so hard .

I went to bed at 10pm today fell asleep around an hour later but at 12:50ish my mum woke me up because she doesn’t care about making noise :/.

Now I can’t sleep and I have these negative feelings (just being unhappy myself)
that I have had under control for the past week but looks like it’s coming back today especially as it’s past midnight.

I’m going Holland and Barret tomorrow. They don’t sell melatonin but they sell other sleep supplements.

Will it be safe if I take these or will I become over reliant?
DrawTheLine
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)

I went to bed at 10pm today fell asleep around an hour later but at 12:50ish my mum woke me up because she doesn’t care about making noise :/.

Now I can’t sleep and I have these negative feelings (just being unhappy myself)
that I have had under control for the past week but looks like it’s coming back today especially as it’s past midnight.

I’m going Holland and Barret tomorrow. They don’t sell melatonin but they sell other sleep supplements.

Moved to health

You shouldn't need to take anything in order to sleep well.

Are you looking at a screen in the hour before you try to sleep - phone, laptop, TV? If so, turn them all off at least an hour before you want to sleep.

Are you drinking anything with caffeine before bed? If so, don't at least 3 hours before you want to sleep.

Are you eating food shortly before bed? If so, don't eat anything at least 3 hours before you want to sleep.

You could try reading a book to help you doze off, or listen to a sleep playlist with relaxing music.

Are you too hot or cold? Are your pillows to flat or are they propping your head up too much?

Places like Holland and Barrett sell lots of things that don't necessarily do anything. Won't have any evidence to back them up etc. If you are doing all the things above (not using screens, not eating or drinking caffeine, trying to relax) and you still can't sleep well, then you should see your doctor for medical advice.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah you become tolerant to Nytol very quickly so i wouldn't bother. buy some good quality earplugs.
(Original post by SuperHuman98)

sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When it comes to H&B, then I can only really vouch for valerian root as being at least somewhat useful in the sleep/anxiety departments and is what customers would come back telling me helped. It doesn't do much for me at recommended doses. Your mileage may vary.
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't take medical advice from the internet. People get addicted to sleeping pills. You should see a doctor first to see if you actually need them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (51)
5.65%
Fairly positive (286)
31.67%
Just another year... (353)
39.09%
Is it 2020 yet? (213)
23.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise