The Student Room Group

Quitting university to do youtube full time?

__
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by student277
Long story short, I am a third year student doing pharmacy (4 year course) and I am making more than enough money to make a living. Some months I can earn as much as 7k (Minimum 2k) so I dont see the point of studying anymore..Any thoughts??

Bad idea, unless you have a backup plan. Some even very popular channels can die quickly and unexpectedly.
Your decision is way too risky. What if in the future YouTube declines in popularity the same way social media sites such as Vines and MySpace has.

If I were you I'd complete the degree and the training period which comes after it, while still doing YouTube on the side. At least you know with completing your degree, you'd have something to fall back on, if anything happens to jeopardise your YouTube career.
That all depends on the type of person you are and how strongly you enjoy being a YouTuber as opposed to finishing your degree.
YouTube has a weird algorithm, meaning one week you could be consistently getting views and another week you'll get significantly less; meaning it's unpredictable for smaller channels.

If the only concern is that you're now making money then please don't quit university. Try and balance the two and finish your degree; that way, if Youtube goes south then you can go back to making a consistent living without having to worry.
If you are extremely confident with YouTube then by all means give it all of your attention.
Finish your degree so that you have a back-up plan. Even if you manage to make a living from YouTube, god knows how long it will last. Degrees are stressful, but don’t look for an easy way out.
Finish your degree. You'll need a back-up plan. It only takes one scandal to completely destroy a YouTubers career.
Long story short, I am a third year student doing pharmacy (4 year course) and I am making more than enough money to make a living. Some months I can earn as much as 7k (Minimum 2k) so I dont see the point of studying anymore..Any thoughts??

why cant you do both, if u were first or 2nd year why not quit. But you basically only have 1 year left now. You could do final year part-time, ie do 60 credits each year for 2 years. Your so close to finishing why not try and get the paperwork.

But either way im sure you'll be fine. Just in 5,10,15 years from now if you get board of youtube/social-media career and want to do something else, the degree could be useful.
Finish your degree and do your pre-reg then you can locum for extra cash and as a back up plan if needed.

drop a link here to your channel
If you champion gay zionist globalist values Google/YT tend to remunerate much more highly. Not bitter, that is just the truth.
Let me come at this from a different angle. Many people are saying it's risky because YouTube could fail (highly, highly unlikely but let's roll with it). YouTube failing isn't necessarily the point. Without a doubt you have gained excellent skills, and this has rewarded you financially. What else, asides from YouTube can you do? Are the skills you've learned transferable? My guess would be yes. In which case you already have something to fall back on if YouTube fails...your skills that got you there in the first place.

On the other hand you have 1 year left which is no time at all. The risk here is that if you quit, it could become a habit later on in life. Anything you start you could easily decide to quit 'because I've got money'. Not a good way to go through life.

Your decision...my overall point here is that don't listen to the people that are telling you that YouTube isn't viable long term. YouTube is just the platform. Platforms come and go. But you've got the skill-set.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah... call me old fashioned, but not a viable long term career I don't think. You're throwing around big numbers but are you funding a pension? Have you bought your first house yet? What happens if you get sick? All that is aside from what happens if your channel drops in popularity, which it might.

Complete pharmacy sufficient that you can at least do locum work, and return to it regularly if your youtube channel dies.
This is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard!
You are in your third year so you'll have a degree by the end of this year unless it's medicine so why would you quit now? Youtube is very risky and at any given point your subscribers could unsubscribe, you could get no views, no likes etc. You should do your degree maybe even your masters and do youtube on the side if you have time.
Original post by Studentikovich
If you champion gay zionist globalist values Google/YT tend to remunerate much more highly. Not bitter, that is just the truth.

A little bitter, let’s be honest.
Is that pre-tax or post-tax?

and do you submit your taxes as self-employed?
Complete your studies first without quitting your Youtube activities. I don't think you are making the right decision.
The advice has been unanimous here and I agree with everyone above.
Honestly? this is even a question?
4 years of uni = extreme dept.

So yeah, it's time to pay up what you owe if you're so 'rich' by earning 7k.

Quitting uni to fulfil youtube? Ah. There's a 50/50 chance you'll be successful out of it to be honest. And by the looks of it as everyone wants to be known and famous from YouTube good luck. The demanding role is high.
what's your channel I want to help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending