Disgusting attack on Sri Lankans and Christians during Easter Sunday :( Watch

Reformed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Blackpanther93)
Suspects haven’t been confirmed. Focusing on who did this rather than the victims, is disrespectful. Buddhists are the majority, shutdown of social media has nothing to do with covering up anything, the world has never been shy to point fingers.
sources close the government have already leaked the fact prior knowledge of an islamist plot was in hands of officials (see bbc 24 for example ) The news shutdown has been to slowdown the facts from getting out as this would be highlight poor governance
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ARealNowhereMan)
I’d like to point out that the terrorist that claim to be Muslims are not. I happen to be Muslim, and I dont like it when they’re called things such as Islamic state, islamists, Muslim extremists, etc.
If a person takes the shahada and follows the Five Pillars to the best of their ability, they are Muslim. Whether or not you agree with their actions is irrelevant.
Islamic State is called Islamic State because it is a "state" governed exclusively by "Islamic" rules.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Terrorism has no religion.
All that really means is that terrorists can follow any religion. It adds nothing to the debate.
Ignoring the stated aims and justifications of terrorists (whatever they may be) does nothing to solve the problem and may actually serve to perpetuate it.
(BTW, I am in no way implying the religion of the perpetrators of this attack. No official details have been released so to do so would be foolish.)
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Jihad is not allowed unless sanctioned by a prophet, of which none are still alive
Not true. Jihad is a constant duty for all Muslims (note: I am using the Islamic definition of "jihad" here).
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is a verse in the Quran, i forgot the actual translation but remember what it means. Was taught it by a teacher who was very dear to me at the masjid
Either you misunderstood or he was ill-informed/dishonest. Jihad of the sword can be instigated by any Muslim, depending on the circumstances.
AJ126
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Blackpanther93)
I’m not that religious, but I know Easter Sunday is a very special day for so many Christians like my family. No one should every feel in danger in their place of worship
The problem with religion is that it creates further division where there shouldn't be any which leads to stuff like this happening.People shouldn't think of themselves in terms of race or religion or nationality.They should just think of themselves as human.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Peeps, seriously: can we not turn this into an(other) Islam-bashing thread? No one has owned up to orchestrating the attacks and there are various groups who could be behind it...
It is not "Islam bashing".
If someone makes false claims in the context of the thread, then others are entitled to correct them.
Would you have it otherwise?

Perhaps the best course would be for people to not make religious claims on these threads in the first place. They should start a specific thread on the issue they want to raise.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Reformed)
very sad especially in a country that has a recent history of bloody civil war between the government and tamil tiger groups.
it seems nowadays though that some islamist ( no doubt externally funded) groups are the primie suspects for terrorism in srilanka, given the significance of the targets. the NTJ were known to have atatcked buddhists sites before today and there was some intelligence they were planning to target catholic churches and also in fact the indian embassy in colombo
Although the conflict between the Tamils and the majority Sinhalese population is often described as a 'civil war', anyone who studies the history of it closely will probably realise that it was more like a war of oppression by the Sinhalese against the Tamils, culminating in a huge and appallingly brutal massacre of Tamils in 2009, in which more than 40,000 Tamil civilians were murdered by the Sri Lankan army. This is the largest human rights abuse and attempted genocide not so far to have raised a prosecution attempt at the ICC. The Tamils were also often murderous, but against a background of attempting to defend themselves.

Sri Lanka doesn't deserve to be bombed by terrorists, but they also have a huge terrorist crime to answer for themselves.
Cxesar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by maachu_pichuu)
Does anyone know who did it? Is it Tamil Tigers? Muslim Extremists?
If you really want to know Zionists
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cxesar)
If you really want to know Zionists
it’s not the time for stupid conspiracy theories.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ladbants
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Although the conflict between the Tamils and the majority Sinhalese population is often described as a 'civil war', anyone who studies the history of it closely will probably realise that it was more like a war of oppression by the Sinhalese against the Tamils, culminating in a huge and appallingly brutal massacre of Tamils in 2009, in which more than 40,000 Tamil civilians were murdered by the Sri Lankan army. This is the largest human rights abuse and attempted genocide not so far to have raised a prosecution attempt at the ICC. The Tamils were also often murderous, but against a background of attempting to defend themselves.

Sri Lanka doesn't deserve to be bombed by terrorists, but they also have a huge terrorist crime to answer for themselves.
I think you’re simplifying it a bit here. It wasn’t as simple as the Sinhalese oppressing the Tamils. It was the Sri Lankan army (mostly Sinhalese but others too) bombing the Tamil Tigers and civilian Tamils. Ordinary Tamils and Sinhalese (those actually living in Sri Lanka who actually had to experience the war and catastrophe) were always a bit reluctant to support either side. While many Tamils wanted a separate state, a lot of them didn’t approve of the Tamil Tigers’ methods or their ideology. The Tamil Tigers undoubtedly carried out a number of atrocities against Sinhalese, Muslims, and Tamils that they felt had betrayed them. And you can’t argue that it was all defensive- the Tigers attacked revered Buddhist temples, bombed buses in Colombo and carried out various other attacks against civilians.

But it is undeniable that what happened at the very end of the war was unjustifiable. But it is also irregular to what happened yesterday, since it had nothing to do with either the Tamil Tigers or the army or the Sinhalese. It appears to be some small local Islamist group that did this, with the help of international terror groups.
Last edited by Ladbants; 4 weeks ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)

Agree 100%, although still questionable why the atrocities committed by the Army have not been properly investigated by the ICC, a travesty to say the least, hope to see swift action, and autonomy for the Tamil communities at the least...
Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 4 weeks ago
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The perpetrators of this terror attack, whoever they may be, are utter scum.
Ladbants
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The targets that were chosen seem to suggest that this attack was at least in part organised by international terror groups rather than just the local group that is being blamed. In Sri Lanka there is very little tension between Muslims and Christians. There is some tension between Buddhists and Muslims, particularly in Sinhalese areas, following the riots that took place against Muslim businesses and homes in 2018 and 2014. So one would think it would be more likely for local Islamists to target Buddhist temples rather than churches (and they have vandalised Buddhist statues in the past).
Last edited by Ladbants; 4 weeks ago
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Reformed)
good 'standard meaningless response' but in reality there arny many other groups in that region currently that could have, beyond the one sri lankan intellgence already know about..

Islam-bashing not acceptable

Islamist terrorism bashing surely is acceptable?
You can call it a "standard meaningless response" if you like Islamist terrorist bashing is of course acceptable but as far as I'm aware, we don't officially know that it was an Islamist terrorist group. Besides, the people above me were getting into stupid arguments about Quranic verses, which don't have a place in this thread - that's for other threads. That is what I was directly responding to :yes:
(Original post by QE2)
Perhaps the best course would be for people to not make religious claims on these threads in the first place. They should start a specific thread on the issue they want to raise.
Exactly. As I say above, there are plenty of other threads on which to quibble about jihadists and whether Quranic verses support or do not support them. Or whether they are Muslim or not. This is not the place...

POST EDIT: Just seen news which seems to officially implicate a local Muslim group, so I stand corrected on that front. But I didn't know that info when I made the original comment
Last edited by The_Lonely_Goatherd; 4 weeks ago
Kangaroo17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No offense, but "terrorism has no religion" is simply not true. It has religions, people do fight in the name of their religion, christianity, especially islam, not sure about judaism.

The root cause of this? Religion. Specifically those which condemn others for doing something not evil - not being muslim/christian means no heaven, no homosexuality, etc.

People are dying from these religions.
The blatant truth.

However not all terrorism has religious causes, though they may be pulled in to justify their acts. Some are ethnic etc.
Blonde.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kangaroo17)
not sure about judaism.
LOL, Israeli army?
Blonde.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is so saddening I hope one day this world is a better place, although I highly doubt that will ever happen.
RazzzBerries
  • Chat Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
All that really means is that terrorists can follow any religion. It adds nothing to the debate.
Ignoring the stated aims and justifications of terrorists (whatever they may be) does nothing to solve the problem and may actually serve to perpetuate it.
(BTW, I am in no way implying the religion of the perpetrators of this attack. No official details have been released so to do so would be foolish.)
Terrorists are claimants of religion. They manipulate its actual ideas of peace into something that's more suited to their extreme views.
RazzzBerries
  • Chat Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Blonde.)
This is so saddening I hope one day this world is a better place, although I highly doubt that will ever happen.
The world is getting better, it's just that sad stories like these dominate the news every day, so people are focused on what goes wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (488)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (604)
38.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.44%
It was TERRIBLE (219)
13.96%

Watched Threads