The Student Room Group

Disgusting attack on Sri Lankans and Christians during Easter Sunday :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blonde.
LOL, Israeli army?

haha true. but idk it seems to be a mix of religion and politics. too complex. I support palestine in terms of ethnicity, not religion
Something seems a bit off. The thing is the Sri Lankan Government apparently knew about this. Furthermore the church masses were all during the Tamil masses. Embers of the war?
(edited 5 years ago)
Disgusting in all ways you look at it, and it pisses me off that this is not getting as much coverage as say the Paris attacks. There is hardly any detailed coverage on this, if it happened in a Western Country every single media outlet would be making 2 or 3 hour interviews and documentaries about the attack.
Round up every single Islamic extremist in the country and deport them, shoot them, whatever...just don't let these scum roam the streets freely as they are simply promoting this terror attack.
It breaks my heart to see this on the news. So many of these people were innocent
Surely they were all innocent?
(Apart from any bombers)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You can call it a "standard meaningless response" if you like :smile: Islamist terrorist bashing is of course acceptable but as far as I'm aware, we don't officially know that it was an Islamist terrorist group. Besides, the people above me were getting into stupid arguments about Quranic verses, which don't have a place in this thread - that's for other threads. That is what I was directly responding to :yes:

Exactly. As I say above, there are plenty of other threads on which to quibble about jihadists and whether Quranic verses support or do not support them. Or whether they are Muslim or not. This is not the place...

POST EDIT: Just seen news which seems to officially implicate a local Muslim group, so I stand corrected on that front. But I didn't know that info when I made the original comment

In general Islamist terrorist attacks are now such a common occurrence that its actually a surprise when it's not pepertrated by muslims.It doesn't take a genius to figure out who is behind it even without knowing all the facts.
Original post by AJ126
In general Islamist terrorist attacks are now such a common occurrence that its actually a surprise when it's not pepertrated by muslims.It doesn't take a genius to figure out who is behind it even without knowing all the facts.

That may be true, but I personally prefer to wait to hear evidence before blaming any ethnic or religious group for atrocities :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
That may be true, but I personally prefer to wait to hear evidence before blaming any ethnic or religious group for atrocities :yes:

I'm just hopeful that whoever did it, it doesnt stoke ethnic tensions that ravaged Sri Lanka before, such as the Kandy riots against Muslims, where nationalists will prey on innocent Muslim family and businesses.

A lot of crazy racist Buddhist monks, swearing at them, and smashing up businesses - wonder if they ever read the Buddha's teaching before donning those robes.. :rolleyes:
Anyone notice how politicians are referring to the victims as "Easter Worshippers" rather than Christians?

Yet they constantly mentioned Muslims after Whitechurch.

The narrative is strong here.
Original post by QE2
It depends which religion we are talking about. Some religions are inherently violent, intolerant and supremacist. When followers of such religions act on the violent, intolerant and supremacist elements of those religions and explicitly claim that they are doing so - often citing chapter and verse, it is foolish, even dangerous to pretend that the religion has nothing to do with those actions.
The first step in solving a problem is accepting that you have one.

The problem here is claiming religion has anything to do with terrorism at all. While citing chapter and verse, they are spinning their own versions of what they think it means. No where does it justify the mass killing of people.

I would rather have people judge them for what they've done wrong: a disgusting attack on the life of human beings, rather than debate which religion they were "fighting" for.
What is wrong with this website? Debating about who did it is not going to solve anything. Just leave it to those that actually know what they're dealing with - the counter terrorism officers and the government since they are the ones who can do something about it. No point worrying about stuff that you can't do anything about, unless of course you want to become or are already a counter terrorism officer.
Original post by ThunderBeard
Something seems a bit off. The thing is the Sri Lankan Government apparently knew about this. Furthermore the church masses were all during the Tamil masses. Embers of the war?

omg... thats what my dad said. the government is corrupt and still has grudges towards tamils. He said the government wanted this attack.
Leave Christians alone.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Leave Christians alone.

*unless they evangelise in your face, and convert the poor, and people wanting/needing money (AKA through bribery)
islam too
Original post by The RAR
Round up every single Islamic extremist in the country and deport them, shoot them, whatever...just don't let these scum roam the streets freely as they are simply promoting this terror attack. Disgusting in all ways you look at it, and it pisses me off that this is not getting as much coverage as say the Paris attacks. There is hardly any detailed coverage on this, if it happened in a Western Country every single media outlet would be making 2 or 3 hour interviews and documentaries about the attack.

:laugh: and yh i didnt know about this until @razzzberries told me
Reply 115
Original post by The RAR
it pisses me off that this is not getting as much coverage as say the Paris attacks. There is hardly any detailed coverage on this,

You're kidding, right? The papers and news have been leading with this for two days.
Reply 116
Original post by RazzzBerries
The problem here is claiming religion has anything to do with terrorism at all. While citing chapter and verse, they are spinning their own versions of what they think it means. No where does it justify the mass killing of people.

This is not the thread for such an in-depth discussion, but some religions do indeed justify mass killings in their scriptures. And not just killings but all the other barbaric practices that we condemn them for. It's not like followers are obliged to act that way, but the justification is definitely there if you read them.

I would rather have people judge them for what they've done wrong: a disgusting attack on the life of human beings, rather than debate which religion they were "fighting" for.

How do you suggest bringing an end to such attacks if you don't address the the motivation and justification? Those religions that contain these elements need and enlightened reformation. The approach to scripture needs to change.
Original post by QE2
This is not the thread for such an in-depth discussion, but some religions do indeed justify mass killings in their scriptures. And not just killings but all the other barbaric practices that we condemn them for. It's not like followers are obliged to act that way, but the justification is definitely there if you read them.

How do you suggest bringing an end to such attacks if you don't address the the motivation and justification? Those religions that contain these elements need and enlightened reformation. The approach to scripture needs to change.

which religions are you talking about...
Reply 118
Original post by AstronomyAustin
What is wrong with this website?

Seems to be working fine for me.

Debating about who did it is not going to solve anything. Just leave it to those that actually know what they're dealing with - the counter terrorism officers and the government since they are the ones who can do something about it. No point worrying about stuff that you can't do anything about, unless of course you want to become or are already a counter terrorism officer.

Look at the top of the page. It says that this is the "News and Current Affairs" section of a "Debate" forum. What did you expect to find here?

And do you really think that only people directly involved in a field should discuss issues relating to it? Why?
Reply 119
Original post by Bang Outta Order
which religions are you talking about...

Any that fit the profile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending