Dropping out of High School Watch

Astronaut_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey Guys,

We have IGCSE's coming up, so we, as a class, were discussing about what subjects are the hardest this year, what subjects are we taking next year, etc. when one of our classmates said that he is dropping out of high school immediately after exams. We were all surprised since nobody had thought of dropping out of high school this early.

I first thought that he was kidding around since he likes to joke around a lot and he is considered a class clown, but I asked a friend of his, who is also a friend of mine if he was actually serious, he said yes. Apparently, he is leaving because he thinks he is too stupid for school, so there is no point in going to school. He's going to go to the army after exams (Military service is required here in Cyprus) and then get a small job as a bartender or something in his village. His parents apparently are cool with it, and most of his friends have tried to explain that he should continue with his studies.

I don't want to be rude, but I do agree with that he isn't the brightest bulb in the class, but he isn't the worst. He's a great guy, and I really appreciate him. He was one of the first guys to ever talk to me when I moved to the school I'm going to currently, in Year 7 orientation day, and that's why I am concerned about his future.

I don't want him to regret his decision later on. He's from a middle-class family, so I understand that he is eager to work (I am too), but I feel like if he studies harder, maybe he'll get a better job which will pay much more. I want him to stay in school because I don't think he's doing the right thing.

I understand I'm not his dad or anything, but I just want the best for him.

I'm originally from India, so my parents look down upon dropping out of high school, since people who do such things get small, very low paid jobs. I'm not sure what the social norm here is, whether dropping out of High school isn't such a big deal, but I also kind of look down at it too. I strongly believe that we should finish education until Year 13, and then get a job, or continue to Uni to get a degree.

I don't really know what to do. Everyone has tried to change his mind, but to no avail, at least that's what I heard. I want him to change his mind, but I don't know how to.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe he's right? You're trying to apply attitudes from a different family and culture to him.

In the UK I did largely the same thing, really didn't feel School was for me and bolted right after my Standard grades/GSCE equiv, I could have probably used more education but at that time the school environment simply wasn't for me no matter how you looked at it or how many peoples blithely said I should just stay.

One difference might be that the UK seems relatively keen on mature students, so after gaining work and life skills I found it a piece of cake to COME BACK to education and make far better use of it when the time was right for me.
Grizwuld
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perhaps during his military service he will have time to reconsider his future. Presumably he can if he wants re-enter education and carry on.

Perhaps also this is a time for you to carefully consider the meaning of friendship?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (142)
21.16%
The paper was reasonable (327)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.78%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise