Why are HCFCs used instead of CFCs?

Watch this thread
foxstudy
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
They both have C-Cl bond so surely chlorine free radicals still form??
kasacolx
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
CFCs are very harmful for the earth but hcfs are seen as less
foxstudy
Rep:
(Original post by kasacolx)
CFCs are very harmful for the earth but hcfs are seen as less
How?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by foxstudy)
How?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloro...ng-out_of_CFCs
kasacolx
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So what’s it basically saying...also do u do chemistry a level
foxstudy
Rep:
So what’s it basically saying...also do u do chemistry a level
yes
kasacolx
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
yes
What year
foxstudy
Rep:
What year
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
HCFC’s are more stable therefore less likely for a chlorine to become a free radical, this therefore means that the O3 (ozone) cannot be broken by chlorine radicals for the reaction to occur
foxstudy
Rep:
(Original post by 6573)
HCFC’s are more stable therefore less likely for a chlorine to become a free radical, this therefore means that the O3 (ozone) cannot be broken by chlorine radicals for the reaction to occur
so HCFCs are less likely to make chlorine radicals however there is still the chance of them being made and damaging the ozone layer? are they greenhouse gases or do they release greenhouse gases?
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
CFC’s are green house gases as their bonds absorb IR radiation,
On my spec all I need to know is they’re stable and less likely to form a chlorine radical so I don’t want to give you wrong information thats the extent I know
so HCFCs are less likely to make chlorine radicals however there is still the chance of them being made and damaging the ozone layer? are they greenhouse gases or do they release greenhouse gases?
foxstudy
Rep:
(Original post by 6573)
CFC’s are green house gases as their bonds absorb IR radiation,
On my spec all I need to know is they’re stable and less likely to form a chlorine radical so I don’t want to give you wrong information thats the extent I know
Alright, thanks though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
23.53%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (11)
32.35%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
8.82%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
17.65%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
5.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads