The Student Room Group

How should I motivate myself to revise?

I have all these GCSE exams coming up and I haven’t revised for any of them yet because I don’t know how to or I don’t know how to motivate myself as I struggle with inference, repetition and revision. How should I motivate myself to revise?
I have this problem as well. My advice is to:

1. Get off the internet
2. Think how happy you would be when you successfully pass the exam
I'm in the same situation, I've barely done any revision during the Easter holidays. I'm just trying to tell myself how disappointed I will feel when I open the letter on results day and haven't met my expectations.

I'm just thinking that I wont be able to enjoy the long summer if all I keep thinking about is how bad I've done in exams.

Try to keep your phone as far away, it's my biggest distraction honestly really frustrating how attached I am to my phone sometimes.
The best way is defo being clever/sneaky with how you learn the content.
I found it incredibly hard to motivate myself and concentrate on revision at GCSE (and still do at A level). It's just SO boring and I procrastinate a lot, especially on my phone. I got round that by turning it off and leaving it upstairs or in another room. Literally tell yourself you can't go on it until a certain time because then you're more likely to feel guilty if you turn it back on.

I honestly end up spending a whole day doing work that should only take a couple of hours and all of my friends are the complete opposite so it is rlly annoyinggg. But it's not how much time you spend, its how you spend the time !!
I was saying this on another thread but basically, although I spent a lot less time working than my friends, when I actually revised I was doing helpful/effective revision. So my revision tips are:

- Skip through past papers or read over a revision guide. I could never physically sit down and do a paper so I used to just read through them instead. Answer the questions out loud or in your head and keep the mark scheme open on a separate tab so you can check straight away. When you do this you can notice patterns and key words that will get you the marks. Doing it like this saves so much time and it feels like a lot less effort but you're still getting the basic revision in.
- Don't go on Netflix. Or BBC iPlayer. Or Youtube (for fun). They are your worst enemies!! I get sooo distracted by them so I just had to stop using them :frown:
- Use the Youtube revision videos (especially for science). They saved my GCSEs. I just watched them when I didn't feel like revising

This stuff tricked me into revising without feeling like I was and in the end I got one 9A* and 2A (three of those were number grades because they mixed the grade systems in my year)
Let me help you out.. right... firstly... what hobbies and stuff do you enjoy... and what subjects do you want to revise atm?
Original post by mjhmichael18
I have all these GCSE exams coming up and I haven’t revised for any of them yet because I don’t know how to or I don’t know how to motivate myself as I struggle with inference, repetition and revision. How should I motivate myself to revise?
Original post by Camryn0903
Let me help you out.. right... firstly... what hobbies and stuff do you enjoy... and what subjects do you want to revise atm?

Biology
Film Studies
English Language
Maths
Psychology
French
Mainly French and Biology at the moment as the exams for them are nearer than the others. I like watching quizzes and playing board games and enjoy that. Flashcards don’t work for me. I am thinking of possibly doing mind maps for Film Studies and Psychology and Biology and then MathsWatch for Maths and past papers as well for that and then for French I use Duolingo every day for about 10 minutes whenever I feel like it and for English Language GCSE I still do not know what I should do. I am thinking of buying a productive app as that might help to motivate me to revise. I also feel really stressed out at the moment too.
Ok... so have you got any other hobbies not school related.. like football or music ..etc..
Biology
Film Studies
English Language
Maths
Psychology
French
Mainly French and Biology at the moment as the exams for them are nearer than the others. I like watching quizzes and playing board games and enjoy that. Flashcards don’t work for me. I am thinking of possibly doing mind maps for Film Studies and Psychology and Biology and then MathsWatch for Maths and past papers as well for that and then for French I use Duolingo every day for about 10 minutes whenever I feel like it and for English Language GCSE I still do not know what I should do. I am thinking of buying a productive app as that might help to motivate me to revise. I also feel really stressed out at the moment too.
Ok... so have you got any other hobbies not school related.. like football or music ..etc..

Not really other than Church because I am a Christian so I go there on a Saturday all day.
Ok .. I'll work with it... so you like board games.. make them into revision.. so you are playing chess for instance.. and you want to revise French.. before you can move a piece ... you have to say the French for a word that your opponent has said in English... you could assign each piece with a different topic... for instance a bishop could be friends and family.. a knight could be environment... and then you could do the same sort of thing with bio.. except you would be answering questions about whatever on the different topics still... what I am saying is try to make it more YOU... like.. I literally learnt French and Spanish by writing songs about them ... I learn my law cases the same way.. because it is something I do everyday.. and all I am doing is revising while doing somethi g I love which motivates me... just try it.. see how it goes 😊
Not really other than Church because I am a Christian so I go there on a Saturday all day.
Ok .. I'll work with it... so you like board games.. make them into revision.. so you are playing chess for instance.. and you want to revise French.. before you can move a piece ... you have to say the French for a word that your opponent has said in English... you could assign each piece with a different topic... for instance a bishop could be friends and family.. a knight could be environment... and then you could do the same sort of thing with bio.. except you would be answering questions about whatever on the different topics still... what I am saying is try to make it more YOU... like.. I literally learnt French and Spanish by writing songs about them ... I learn my law cases the same way.. because it is something I do everyday.. and all I am doing is revising while doing somethi g I love which motivates me... just try it.. see how it goes 😊

Thanks Camryn, I might try that. Keep working on it.
If that doesnt work.. look up "sherlock Holmes mind palace for revision"
Thanks Camryn, I might try that. Keep working on it.
You must be at least 16 to get Income Support.

how much benefit does a 16 yr old get?

Status Age Weekly payment

Single 16 to 24 £57.90

Single 25 or over £73.10
Lone parent 16 to 17 £57.90
Lone parent 18 or over £73.10
Couples Both under 18 £57.90
Couples Both under 18 - ‘higher rate’ £87.50
Couples One under 18, the other 18 to 24 £57.90
Couples One under 18, the other 25 or over £73.10
Couples One under 18, one over - ‘higher rate’ £114.85
Couples Both 18 or over £114.85

Single 16 to 24 £57.90

£57.90 / 7 = £8.27 per day

Source: https://www.gov.uk/income-support/what-youll-get
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Snazzy12341
I have this problem as well. My advice is to:

1. Get off the internet
2. Think how happy you would be when you successfully pass the exam

Same have this problem as well but step 2 contradicts step 1 for me :facepalm:

* thinking how happy I will be involves me being on the internet watching youtube,social media visualising about the happiness after h̶o̶p̶e̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ passing the exam :lol:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply