Is it okay to have someone proofread your uni essay?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is this allowed or would it count as cheating? I mean simply just reading it over to check for any spelling/grammar mistakes, not adding anything.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is this allowed or would it count as cheating? I mean simply just reading it over to check for any spelling/grammar mistakes, not adding anything.
It's allowed. I send all my assignments to my parents to proofread, and they just highlight mistakes and send it back to me. They don't even understand what i'm going on about / say it's boring, but they're good at pointing out typos.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Of course it is ok, and anyway, how would anyone know you have asked a friend/relative to proofread it?
G-Sci
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If it is cheating, the majority of students, past and present, are guilty!
Malina K.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's okay. I am a writing tutor at my university and students come to see me with their essays so that I can proofread them (grammar, thesis, logic, etc).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
It's allowed. I send all my assignments to my parents to proofread, and they just highlight mistakes and send it back to me. They don't even understand what i'm going on about / say it's boring, but they're good at pointing out typos.
(Original post by harrysbar)
Of course it is ok, and anyway, how would anyone know you have asked a friend/relative to proofread it?
(Original post by georgem93)
If it is cheating, the majority of students, past and present, are guilty!
(Original post by Malina K.)
It's okay. I am a writing tutor at my university and students come to see me with their essays so that I can proofread them (grammar, thesis, logic, etc).
Ah thank you guys. I'm just an extremely paranoid first year haha
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why not, it can generate new ideas with a second opinion. It's not cheating imo.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's certainly not cheating, just get someone you trust to do it.
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes but don't have it proofread by someone who is doing the same course/assignment - to avoid them (purposeful/accidentally/unconsciously) plagiarising your work and to avoid any suggestion of collusion.
Last edited by JTfoxlove; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads