The Student Room Group

How to be a GP DOCTOR in the UK??? helpp :))

hey so I'm currently stressing out! I have no idea what I'm doing with my life but I would love to be a GP doctor.

I'm 15 years old and I live in Manchester. I'm currently in Year 10 and we are close to our GCSEs and I don't know what's next.

Once I finish high school with my GCSE's what do I do? If I want to be a GP doctor do I go into college?

here's how clueless I am, look at all these questions I have! LOL HELP :smile:

1) What courses do I take and how long am I in college?

2) What degree do I need in college? (whats a bachelor degree or A-levels?)

3) What's medical school and when do I go there? what degrees do I need?

4) Do I go University? what degree do I need?

5) What's a foundation year? so do I need to have 5 A's in GCSE, attend college and pick A-levels, go to university and do other things??? HELPPPP

honestly I will pray for you if you help me this is super stressful and I have no idea what I'm doing. if you have any thing you need help with. I'm here always.

thank you so much humans!!
You need to do two years at a sixth form college, studying 3 A-levels. Most people will take Chemistry, Biology and one other subject.

In your second year in sixth form, you apply to university to study a bachelor's degree in medicine (studying medicine at university is what medical school means). A medicine degree typically lasts 5 years (though you can intercalate to get a BSc as well which adds an extra year). You are allowed to apply to four medicine courses, and then one back-up course like Biochemistry, Psychology etc.

After medical school, as far as I know, you do two foundation years, and then three years training to become a GP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending