Student mental health. Watch

phoebeness
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I went through the exact same when I went to college to do A levels. I woke up every morning and the first thing I felt was nausea purely from fear of going into college, I wasn’t sleeping well at all and I’d leave my room to just sit on the bathroom mat in the foetal position for hours on end (very strange, but I found that it helped for me), I wasn’t eating, whenever I went in the people in my classes would make snide remarks, my tutors gave me no help, it was horrible. I did so well in my GCSEs so it was the natural thing for me to do A Levels, so I felt that I’d let myself and everyone else down that I was mentally and physically breaking down. I left in the January, after that I went and volunteered at a charity/coffee shop, got my first aid and food hygiene certs, then went on to another apprenticeship type thing (turned out to be **** but at least I’d learnt a lesson there) then I went back to another college doing a BTEC in November.
It’s the absolute worst thing to be surrounded by people doing well, saying they’re doing really badly but you’re doing worse, feeling like you’ve totally effed it - but it’s not your only option. It’s perfectly ok to take a bit of time, if people do it before uni then it should be normal to have a little gap year before going on from GCSEs if you feel it’s right for you. After leaving my first college I thought, right further education isn’t for me, end of the line, stepping off the conveyor belt, but now I’m doing so well at college, I feel so proud and driven doing my work and I’m off to uni!!! Sorry for rambling on but you’re not alone, you’ve done nothing wrong, and whatever you choose to do it’s going to be better for you immediately. The second I left college the sickness stopped! If you ever need a chat then I’m right here 😊 x
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
cmd010802
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much! I’m glad it’s not just me that feels this way. I really want to take time off but by law I have to stay in education until 18 so I’m a bit screwed, would love to do something more relaxed and that I can take at my own pace.💖
(Original post by phoebeness)
I went through the exact same when I went to college to do A levels. I woke up every morning and the first thing I felt was nausea purely from fear of going into college, I wasn’t sleeping well at all and I’d leave my room to just sit on the bathroom mat in the foetal position for hours on end (very strange, but I found that it helped for me), I wasn’t eating, whenever I went in the people in my classes would make snide remarks, my tutors gave me no help, it was horrible. I did so well in my GCSEs so it was the natural thing for me to do A Levels, so I felt that I’d let myself and everyone else down that I was mentally and physically breaking down. I left in the January, after that I went and volunteered at a charity/coffee shop, got my first aid and food hygiene certs, then went on to another apprenticeship type thing (turned out to be **** but at least I’d learnt a lesson there) then I went back to another college doing a BTEC in November.
It’s the absolute worst thing to be surrounded by people doing well, saying they’re doing really badly but you’re doing worse, feeling like you’ve totally effed it - but it’s not your only option. It’s perfectly ok to take a bit of time, if people do it before uni then it should be normal to have a little gap year before going on from GCSEs if you feel it’s right for you. After leaving my first college I thought, right further education isn’t for me, end of the line, stepping off the conveyor belt, but now I’m doing so well at college, I feel so proud and driven doing my work and I’m off to uni!!! Sorry for rambling on but you’re not alone, you’ve done nothing wrong, and whatever you choose to do it’s going to be better for you immediately. The second I left college the sickness stopped! If you ever need a chat then I’m right here 😊 x
phoebeness
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cmd010802)
Thank you so much! I’m glad it’s not just me that feels this way. I really want to take time off but by law I have to stay in education until 18 so I’m a bit screwed, would love to do something more relaxed and that I can take at my own pace.💖
That’s so annoying not being able to take time out! Just realised that I was able to because I was in the year group before everything was changed for no reason😂 The only things I could suggest would be to look into a BTEC/apprenticeship that you might be interested in, or maybe just staying back a year either at the sixth form you’re at now or waiting to move to another college or course. I know plenty of people that didn’t do so well in their first year so started fresh the next year (technically doing 3 years total).
It stinks that your whole life could be pinned on these few years of your life now, but you’ll find your feet soon enough ❤️ x
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (212)
21.9%
The paper was reasonable (418)
43.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (185)
19.11%
It was TERRIBLE (153)
15.81%

Watched Threads