kazami
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Design technology (product design to be more specific) is the one subject im having trouble studying for. I've managed to get a 5 in all my mocks for DT but i dont know how to actually study for it because apparently we learn some of what we need to know while we were at our coursework stage.
At the moment, I've made DT flashcards on quizlet and i've been using those to study key theory points like types of wood, plastic etc.
If anyone has any other ideas it would be really helpful!
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One of the best ways is to just take notice of your surroundings, look at products around you and ask yourself the following questions:
1)What is it made from
2)How was it made e.g what processes
3)Why was it made e.g what function does it fulfil, what problems does it solve?

Some good websites for GCSE are Technology Student and MR DT

If you dont understand a process e.g die casting then if you type the process into youtube there are always really good videos on it, personally i find watching something much easier to understand than when it is written down
DOOODARS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seneca recently added a design and technology course so I would recommend that. As the comment or above said, technology student is very good and I believe they have past papers which you can try. I’m not the best at theory to be completely honest with you, I’m much better at the coursework side so I’ve put all my energy into that lol worth it though in my opinion
JacksonTodd05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi!, if you need info for product design then technologystudent.com would be great. I use it, it covers all the topics in great detail and a lot of diagrams are in there too. Also, a great revision technique to use would be 'retrieval practice', with this technique you put away your class materials, and write or sketch anything that you know of a chosen topic on a piece of paper. then check your class materials for any key points you missed. after this you do it again, and again until you know the info. Another good way of revising is doing as many practice papers that you can, then you will have a good idea of how your GCSEs will be like.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JacksonTodd05)
Hi!, if you need info for product design then technologystudent.com would be great. I use it, it covers all the topics in great detail and a lot of diagrams are in there too. Also, a great revision technique to use would be 'retrieval practice', with this technique you put away your class materials, and write or sketch anything that you know of a chosen topic on a piece of paper. then check your class materials for any key points you missed. after this you do it again, and again until you know the info. Another good way of revising is doing as many practice papers that you can, then you will have a good idea of how your GCSEs will be like.
This thread is a year old technology student is already mentioned further up

Good luck with your studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads