The Student Room Group

Your Thoughts: Meeting University Entry Requirements...

Hi there everybody!

I’m aware this has been asked before, but I know my opinion has changed since last seeing one of these threads. But I must ask, what is your opinion on meeting the entry requirements for universities?

I’ve noticed in the past few years, lots of students have been allowed entry to most UK universities despite not meeting the minimum requirements for admission. A few months ago, I was all for the idea of university being accessible to anyone of any ability (and I still do advocate for this). However I do sometimes wonder why I have worked so hard (academically and financially) for my place in higher education when many students are offered places regardless of their grades etc.

As happy as I am for some of my friends to be admitted into their dream schools, I must admit I’m a bit miffed to see that they’ve managed this with too few or no UCAS points, and in some cases even no GCSEs. While I realise my degree may be slightly different as it’s mostly based on an audition (I will be starting a music based degree in October), I feel that the entry requirements are there for a reason and they should be met and taken into consideration more importantly above everything else. After all, in my eyes - the more students admitted with sub par grades, the less your degree/course is worth...

Am I right to feel a bit disheartened and “ripped off” in a sense? I’ve worked stupidly hard for this, but the same can’t be said for others that have managed a similar or even sometimes better outcome. Or should I just feel happy for my friends and let them continue with their successes? I hope I’m not coming across as too irrational, thanks guys!
(edited 5 years ago)
It depends on the university you end up at, a select few will only accept what they asked for and will not waver. However, for most universities if you miss out by one or two grades they will accept you, and then for others they will be very lenient no matter what you get. I missed my grades by 3 and when I started asking people on my course what they got everyone got the same grades.... It was at that point I knew the entry requirements were a complete lie and they just wanted my money. At the end of the day I think there's no point in comparing yourself to others and being miffed about it. If you do better than expected, UCAS adjustment will reward you for doing too well and you could potentially enter a 'better' university. You get a general view of how truth the entry requirements are when you look at your course's unistats entry standards.

I think you should be happy for your friends and let them continue with their success, there's no point using your energy on being miffed. Use it on doing the best you can at university and in life and being thankful you have the opportunities you have gained. Your hard work will show more at university level and beyond where effort genuinely counts more in terms of getting a graduate job, work experience etc. This is at the end what university is about and the end goal for most people. I understand why you're miffed but your hard work will pay off, just keep this ethic up and you will do very well in life. Going to university is but one part of your life there will be times further in the future when you will be truly thankful for your ethics and where it will show. I hope my answer helps? :h:
(edited 5 years ago)
Your reply is so encouraging and great, I’m really glad I’m not thinking wrongly. I suppose you put it a better way and to look to the actual university experience itself rather than just the offer.

My uni’s requirements were quite low in the first place, I suppose this is why I’m so agitated on the matter. Like I said, since it’s music it’s mostly audition based and the requirements don’t need to be that high for this reason. I really love the place and think it will shoot me into a music related career if I can work hard enough for it.

My boyfriend has zero UCAS points, 3 GCSEs C and above, including English Language but DOESN’T have Maths. I’m so happy he’s managed it but he’s getting in on practically no grades. Where I in the other hand, have 10 GCSE’s C and above, one Sub Dip Level 3 as a Merit/Pass, and I’m about to finish an Extended Dip Level 3 with a double Distinction. But I totally see your point in who will end up better in the long run. Thanks for your advice!
Original post by Themysticalegg
It depends on the university you end up at, a select few will only accept what they asked for and will not waver. However, for most universities if you miss out by one or two grades they will accept you, and then for others they will be very lenient no matter what you get. I missed my grades by 3 and when I started asking people on my course what they got everyone got the same grades.... It was at that point I knew the entry requirements were a complete lie and they just wanted my money. At the end of the day I think there's no point in comparing yourself to others and being miffed about it. If you do better than expected, UCAS adjustment will reward you for doing too well and you could potentially enter a 'better' university. You get a general view of how truth the entry requirements are when you look at your course's unistats entry standards.

I think you should be happy for your friends and let them continue with their success, there's no point using your energy on being miffed. Use it on doing the best you can at university and in life and being thankful you have the opportunities you have gained. Your hard work will show more at university level and beyond where effort genuinely counts more in terms of getting a graduate job, work experience etc. This is at the end what university is about and the end goal for most people. I understand why you're miffed but your hard work will pay off, just keep this ethic up and you will do very well in life. Going to university is but one part of your life there will be times further in the future when you will be truly thankful for your ethics and where it will show. I hope my answer helps? :h:
Entry requirements are often higher as sometimes people see those universities with low requirements as 'worse' than others. For example, if UCL had CCC requirements do you think people would think it's still awesome?

Sometimes there are mitigating or extenuating circumstances alongside results that make universities more likely to accept certain miss grades.

Widening participating is getting increasingly important for universities. For example, the entry requirements for Bristol are AAB but I got an offer of BBB due to my postcode and school's reputation. This may anger people who got the normal offer but it's the universities way of making it an equal opportunity for even those disadvantaged.

Finally, universities need money. If they rejected everyone who didn't meet the grades, more often than not they would not have enough students and not enough money.
I suppose I never took circumstantial requirements into consideration. Thanks for the explanation and I agree, it’s all about the money these days.
Original post by CuriousCat567
Entry requirements are often higher as sometimes people see those universities with low requirements as 'worse' than others. For example, if UCL had CCC requirements do you think people would think it's still awesome?

Sometimes there are mitigating or extenuating circumstances alongside results that make universities more likely to accept certain miss grades.

Widening participating is getting increasingly important for universities. For example, the entry requirements for Bristol are AAB but I got an offer of BBB due to my postcode and school's reputation. This may anger people who got the normal offer but it's the universities way of making it an equal opportunity for even those disadvantaged.

Finally, universities need money. If they rejected everyone who didn't meet the grades, more often than not they would not have enough students and not enough money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending