Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
is it true the uni students get bus fares included in rent? this doesn't happen for arts uni students?
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
is it true the uni students get bus fares included in rent? this doesn't happen for arts uni students?
Never heard that one before.
phoebeness
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was literally thinking this yesterday! The BU students definitely do because I saw it when having a snoop at their accommodation (which look nicer than the AUB ones :/) and I can’t see anything about included bus fairs for AUB. I might try to ring up to ask about it because it seems unfair that AUB students are excluded
ImSoIndie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by phoebeness)
I was literally thinking this yesterday! The BU students definitely do because I saw it when having a snoop at their accommodation (which look nicer than the AUB ones :/) and I can’t see anything about included bus fairs for AUB. I might try to ring up to ask about it because it seems unfair that AUB students are excluded
Hey, I’m coming to AUB this summer and I was wondering how you got to look inside the AUB accommodation? Did you just turn up or did they have some kind of tour? I kinda want to visit before I say where I want to live
phoebeness
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ImSoIndie)
Hey, I’m coming to AUB this summer and I was wondering how you got to look inside the AUB accommodation? Did you just turn up or did they have some kind of tour? I kinda want to visit before I say where I want to live
Aw that’s so good to know! What course are you on, I’m doing visual communication? And I haven’t seen any accommodation in the flesh (brick??) because I live in Manchester and it’s a bit of a trek. I went down for an interview but I didn’t really have the time to see accommodation so I’m just trying to decide based on what’s on the website unfortunately
ImSoIndie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aw that’s so good to know! What course are you on, I’m doing visual communication? And I haven’t seen any accommodation in the flesh (brick??) because I live in Manchester and it’s a bit of a trek. I went down for an interview but I didn’t really have the time to see accommodation so I’m just trying to decide based on what’s on the website unfortunately
I’m gonna be doing Graphic Design! Aw almost the same course! Wow Manchester is a hell of a trek to Bournemouth haha. I went on a tour on an AUB open day to the accommodation but they didn’t let us look inside at any rooms, they just drove around the areas which was odd. I’m finding it so hard to choose from just the photos ahhh! In the next few weeks I’m gonna try and go down to Bournemouth and see if there’s any chance I can look at some rooms if they happen to have one unoccupied, but not sure how likely that is did you get sent that little blue booklet in the post from AUB?
phoebeness
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m gonna be doing Graphic Design! Aw almost the same course! Wow Manchester is a hell of a trek to Bournemouth haha. I went on a tour on an AUB open day to the accommodation but they didn’t let us look inside at any rooms, they just drove around the areas which was odd. I’m finding it so hard to choose from just the photos ahhh! In the next few weeks I’m gonna try and go down to Bournemouth and see if there’s any chance I can look at some rooms if they happen to have one unoccupied, but not sure how likely that is did you get sent that little blue booklet in the post from AUB?
Aw how annoying we’re not on the same course! You’ll ace graphics anyway! It’s strange that you didn’t get to go inside, I went for a look at some Leeds Arts Uni rooms (ran by liberty living) and I was so overwhelmed by how little it all looked!
I think I might apply for Madeira Road and Skyline. I’ve heard Madeira is great as it’s popular and nice inside, but it can be quite loud. Bath Road also gets good reviews, and I’d say avoid Hern House as it has damp and silverfish apparently. Skyline looks so nice but obviously there are no reviews or anything as it’s new so it’s all so confusing! Hopefully you can have a little look at some rooms! And that little booklet is so cute! Makes my eyes hurt a bit with the colours though haha x
ImSoIndie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aw how annoying we’re not on the same course! You’ll ace graphics anyway! It’s strange that you didn’t get to go inside, I went for a look at some Leeds Arts Uni rooms (ran by liberty living) and I was so overwhelmed by how little it all looked!
I think I might apply for Madeira Road and Skyline. I’ve heard Madeira is great as it’s popular and nice inside, but it can be quite loud. Bath Road also gets good reviews, and I’d say avoid Hern House as it has damp and silverfish apparently. Skyline looks so nice but obviously there are no reviews or anything as it’s new so it’s all so confusing! Hopefully you can have a little look at some rooms! And that little booklet is so cute! Makes my eyes hurt a bit with the colours though haha x
I mean.. we’re basically on the same course right?! 😂 I remember all the confused dads on the open day asking “so what is the difference between vis com and graphics then??” Vis com will be lucky to have you, hopefully in graphics we’ll do a collab with you guys! My friends were telling me about when they looked at rooms at other unis, there was raw meat on the table with no plate underneath and pots and pans on the kitchen floor hahah, we’ve got all this to come. Yeah I’m fortunate to have a decent sized room at home so its gonna be a big adjustment. Ty for the tips- I think Hern House is a strong No from me, don’t really fancy silverfish haha. I’m most likely going to get a place at Madeira Road, Bath Road or Skyline. Tbh the closer to that glorious beach, the better!! I also really wanna check out the cat café. I’m Sophie by the way! x
Last edited by ImSoIndie; 1 year ago
phoebeness
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean.. we’re basically on the same course right?! 😂 I remember all the confused dads on the open day asking “so what is the difference between vis com and graphics then??” Vis com will be lucky to have you, hopefully in graphics we’ll do a collab with you guys! My friends were telling me about when they looked at rooms at other unis, there was raw meat on the table with no plate underneath and pots and pans on the kitchen floor hahah, we’ve got all this to come. Yeah I’m fortunate to have a decent sized room at home so its gonna be a big adjustment. Ty for the tips- I think Hern House is a strong No from me, don’t really fancy silverfish haha. I’m most likely going to get a place at Bath Road or Skyline. Tbh the closer to that glorious beach, the better!! I also really wanna check out the cat café. I’m Sophie by the way! x
Yeah near enough identical😂 aw I’d love to do a collab, after all it’s quite often the case of ‘it’s not what you know it’s who you know’! Ooh I’ve heard some serious horror stories from student accommodation haha! I’m just mentally and physically preparing for scrapping people that pinch my milk and stuff 😂 aw hopefully we’ll be nearby to each other wherever we end up staying though! The cat cafe looks great, I’ve been the the one in Manchester and I was feeding any cat that came near me some cream from my hot chocolate though you’re not really allowed to :/ aw pleasure to meet you Sophie, I’m Phoebe (I mostly get called Phoebeness because it’s a bit cooler haha) x
ImSoIndie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah near enough identical😂 aw I’d love to do a collab, after all it’s quite often the case of ‘it’s not what you know it’s who you know’! Ooh I’ve heard some serious horror stories from student accommodation haha! I’m just mentally and physically preparing for scrapping people that pinch my milk and stuff 😂 aw hopefully we’ll be nearby to each other wherever we end up staying though! The cat cafe looks great, I’ve been the the one in Manchester and I was feeding any cat that came near me some cream from my hot chocolate though you’re not really allowed to :/ aw pleasure to meet you Sophie, I’m Phoebe (I mostly get called Phoebeness because it’s a bit cooler haha) x
Oh wow they have one in Manchester too! I bet the cat appreciated the cream you gave it though 😂 contributing to the Manchester cat obesity epidemic hahaha. I’ve never been to Manchester, my favourite band is from there though. Phoebeness is a great nickname!! I’ll just have to try and figure out who you are irl out of all the vis com people x
phoebeness
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh wow they have one in Manchester too! I bet the cat appreciated the cream you gave it though 😂 contributing to the Manchester cat obesity epidemic hahaha. I’ve never been to Manchester, my favourite band is from there though. Phoebeness is a great nickname!! I’ll just have to try and figure out who you are irl out of all the vis com people x
The cats there are gorgeous, there’s a fluffy white one that looks like a very regal cloud! Plus when I went with my friend they didn’t charge us as we were leaving so that was kind of nice even though we felt like criminals haha 😂 ooh you definitely have to come and visit, the music scene is probably the best in the country if I do say so myself 🙂 aw thanks haha and I’m the ginger one with glasses and a manc accent! Can’t wait to meet everyone now too, like you’re all real and I’ll probably see you when we all start hahaha it feels so surreal😬🙂 x
curlyavenger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya, they don't do tours of the student accommodation but there are a few video tours at the inspiredaub and International AUB YouTube accounts. They usually don't do tours of the accommodation because the rooms are booked up. I stayed at Madeira and my best friend stayed at Bath so I can try to answer some questions
Madeira Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUYm1F7JBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnlD...NC3TBq&index=3
Bath Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK20pOwB3uo

ImSoIndie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by curlyavenger)
Hiya, they don't do tours of the student accommodation but there are a few video tours at the inspiredaub and International AUB YouTube accounts. They usually don't do tours of the accommodation because the rooms are booked up. I stayed at Madeira and my best friend stayed at Bath so I can try to answer some questions
Madeira Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUYm1F7JBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnlD...NC3TBq&index=3
Bath Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK20pOwB3uo
Hey! I totally forgot about the YouTube vids, tysm!! If I think of any questions after having a look I’ll let you know- that’d be so helpful I guess my biggest question about Bath Road is whether people actually use the communal room and if it’s easy enough to be social?
curlyavenger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to a few parties at the common room, but I would say it wasn't as much as Madeira. People are still pretty social, I know of a group that met during freshers while at Bath and were super social at the halls.
Hey! I totally forgot about the YouTube vids, tysm!! If I think of any questions after having a look I’ll let you know- that’d be so helpful I guess my biggest question about Bath Road is whether people actually use the communal room and if it’s easy enough to be social?
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone, sorry to jump in but thought I'd explain that bus passes are included in the halls fees at BU but students can opt out if they prefer, which saves £250 for the year. Most of our students do keep the bus pass though. I'm not sure how much the AUB accommodation is but it might be worth taking this into consideration. You can still purchase the UNIBUS annual pass and still get student prices on single/return trips when you show your student ID. Personally, I purchase the 10 trips for £10 via UNIBUS as that doesn't tie me in to just using the blue buses and it means I can use a yellow bus (different company) if it's there first. Not so much an issue in the first year but might be worth considering for 2nd and 3rd year.

I hope this helps to clear things up and make you all feel a bit better about missing out!

Vicki
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.44%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.28%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.3%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (29)
10.9%
No - I live at home during term anyway (80)
30.08%

Watched Threads