The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah,
Reply 2
The GDL takes a year and is not hard to get onto.
The easiest thing is to phone Admissions at the uni you have Firmed and ask if you could switch your application to Law. They may allow it if they still have vacancies in Law and if you meet the usual entry requirements for Law.
J-SP is the law recruitment wizard. The UG law wizards are the much more interesting lot ...

What are your predicted grades, where do you have psychology offers from? Do you think you'd be a competitive applicant for KCL/LSE and Cambridge for law?
Brum and QMUL might let you switch over -- not sure why you're happy with these lot for psych but need LSE for law?

You don't need law work experience for academic law admissions. Only a minority use LNAT (the tippy tops ones invariably). Plenty of decent schools will be in Clearing, and are/were in Extra.
Original post by J-SP
That’s a matter of opinion....

I happen to recall your saying you enjoyed us, in that one moment of weakness/generosity.
It's confusing about why you're looking into 5 completely new unis now, when in post 2 you were talking about asking your Firm choice uni to switch courses and were told that this is definitely worth a try?

Is it that you really want to change subject and Uni? I must say that you weren't very aspirational with your first 5 unis for someone who is predicted A*A*A*. You could use the UCAS search tool to find unis that are still advertising vacancies in Law but if you really have changed your sights from Birmingham/QMUL to Cambridge/LSE it probably would be better to take a gap year and start a completely fresh application in September.
What kind of law do you want to go into?
Your thread is indeed confusing, veering as it does between Psychology or Law, Gap year or not, one of your current 5 unis or a complete change into 5 different unis.

Overall, you just sound massively confused and I think you need to focus on one question at a time, which needs to start with Psychology or Law? You have said, "I don't really want to do Psychology" and "I really want to do Law with a passion" but yet you are still questioning, "which is better, psychology or Law?"

If you know that you would prefer to be studying Law, you're not risking that much in declining your current offers to do Psychology. The only question is whether you would be better off seeing if you could transfer into Law at Birmingham (for example) before you decline them, or whether you would prefer to see if there is something "better" than Birmingham in Extra. That is why I would suggest doing some phoning around next week.

The Year Off route is a whole other ball game and the only way that realistically you are likely to get into the top top unis like Cambridge or LSE. Judging by the indecisiveness of your posts, however, I think it could be a good idea to try to get something sorted out for 2019 anyway (in Law) so that you have that option in the bag. If you subsequently decide to opt for a Gap Year, you will have had more time to reseach how you could strengthen your application in that year and could withdraw from UCAS at any time with no bad feelings and reapply as a fresh applicant in the next cycle.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think for people who are 100% committed to Law as a career it is easier to do a Law degree than a non Law degree followed by the GDL since the latter have missed out on immersing themselves in Law for 3 years and getting better access to law related extracurriculars. In addition to this, the GDL is a steep learning curb and very intense.

You have now said that you don't want to try to switch to Law at Birmingham or QMUL so that option is off the table - now we are getting somewhere. In that case, you may as well decline the offers for Psychology that you currently holding, which would leave you free to respond quickly to any good unis that do still have vacancies in Law. I would try to get an offer from the best one you can (in Extra or in Clearing) and if that doesn't work out to your satisfaction, it would become clear that a Year Out is the logical thing to do. It still only *wastes* one year and is a lot cheaper than paying the GDL fees.

With excellent acheived grades and the opportunity to do LNAT and get relevant legal work experience, you would then be in a fantastic position to apply to the top unis that you really want to aim for.
Original post by J-SP
You don’t need legal work experience to get into a law course.

No but it demonstrates interest and if you were taking a Year Out anyway, why wouldn't you try and do something at least vaguely related, even if it's only doing some volunteering with the Citizens Advice Bureau
If you want an easy career, do a vocational degree. Med, nursing, teaching. Otherwise your path to success is always going to be a bit hairy.
Original post by J-SP
Even Amal Clooney has probably had to put her personal morals aside for certain clients to get where she is now.

:shock:
It's deffo worth taking a look at studentbuzz.co

they deliver content in areas you selected to your messenger! They also sent me 2 months' free spotify which was a life saver
Original post by J-SP
I think you are full of contradictions.

Don’t learn a few languages - learn one fluently (or as best to it as possible). Learning some basic languages skills won’t really get you far, while fluency will.

I’d personally suggest go off travelling or something different that will broaden your horizons during your gap year too.

What if you get 2As and an A* - are you still going to give up on law so easily? You could still get into a decent law course with those grades.

I admire your determination, but I currently think it is misplaced. I haven’t really heard anything to suggest you are interested in law. At the moment I think this is more of a hunch.

What we're witnessing here is someone excited and just wanting to talk about the thing they're excited about. That's why there is no clear-cut plan, and it's going this way and that way.
Original post by J-SP
I am not even sure what they are excited about though. I’m not convinced it is a law degree nor the career.

It’s good they are inquisitive though

When they create 2/3 threads in a coupla days, they're invariably talking for the sake of talking and not listening to what you're saying.

Any thread over 10 replies and I ain't gonna try to help.

Latest