yasvantia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
hey, I'm doing aqa history this year and I was wondering wheter anyone has any tips? I got a 5 in my mock in January (i didn't actually revise for half of the paper, so my fault, not that a 5 is a bad grade tho!) but I'm aiming for at least a 7 maybe even (probably not but I can dream of) an 8. id say I'm just over halfway through making notes + understanding my course
russia - I understand all of it
cold war - not much (about a quarter of it I get)
power and the people - I understand just about half of it
elizabeth - i understand about a third of it i think
ive been trying to understand it and make notes as I go along, easter is now pretty much over and ive still got so much to do, does anyone have any advice on what I should do now, should I keep making my notes, make flashcards idk. my notes are really overwhelming because I had these REALLY LONG documents of all the stuff I need to memorize and I have no idea how I'm going to do it, the exams are after half term so I have about 6 more weeks, but I have other exams during that time. I really hope someone can help, I just want some HELP
thank you so much :-)
Himynameisdaisy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Heya. Can’t help you with Cold War, it power of the people, but I can for Elizabeth. You need to know the globe theatre in lots of detail as there WILL be a 16 marker exam on it. I advice learning key dates of rebellions, battles etc and know the key events. Also, learn second order concepts such as change and continuity, long term and short term impacts etc. Learn key figures all that stuff.

This goes for all sections but practice timings. It doesn’t matter if you can write an assessment well if it takes too long. I advice sticking to this:
4 marks - 5 mins
8 marks - 10 mins
12 marks - 15 mins
16 marks - 20 mins

Always read your answers afterwards to check dates and facts are correct. Try to condense knowledge into flash cards but don’t spend all your time doing that. It is better to learn the skills and put the knowledge into practice

Also, learn how to write conclusions as they give you access to top band marks, and yes they are necessary to even access the top band so learn to do them well. Don’t restate the obvious, weigh everything up and give an overall judgement.

Sorry it is a bit long but I hope that helps you. That’s what I’ve been taught and it’s worked very well for me (got an 8 in my mock, I’m not trying to show off btw)

Good luck to you fellow history student
yasvantia
Rep:
?
hey, thank you so much for your reply, that was so helpful )) how do you think I should go about learning the dates and names of rebellions and such (sorry that wasn't worded well, I mean what method should I use?) Also when do you think I should start learning these dates, now or once I've finished all my notes (which will probably take me at least another 2 weeks now that school is starting ( )? thank you so much!!
Himynameisdaisy
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by yasvantia)
hey, thank you so much for your reply, that was so helpful )) how do you think I should go about learning the dates and names of rebellions and such (sorry that wasn't worded well, I mean what method should I use?) Also when do you think I should start learning these dates, now or once I've finished all my notes (which will probably take me at least another 2 weeks now that school is starting ( )? thank you so much!!
I would write them on flash cards simplified or post it notes and place them where you will see them all the time eg wardrobe door or fridge. Also read through them on the bus on the way to school or something. I would recommend that for other subjects too. I would try to finish your notes ASAP and learn the dates. key figures etc with the method above. As I said on the previous post, practice questions are the best. Do a mind map of the question without notes, then in a different colour, add to the mindmap with your notes, that way you know exactly what you need to improve on in terms of memorising key facts. Hope this helps
yasvantia
Rep:
?
sure, thank you so much, I'm doing my best but it's just a little stressful doing all my notes when I have my Spanish aural in less than a week now and my teachers are still giving me homework!
(Original post by Himynameisdaisy)
I would write them on flash cards simplified or post it notes and place them where you will see them all the time eg wardrobe door or fridge. Also read through them on the bus on the way to school or something. I would recommend that for other subjects too. I would try to finish your notes ASAP and learn the dates. key figures etc with the method above. As I said on the previous post, practice questions are the best. Do a mind map of the question without notes, then in a different colour, add to the mindmap with your notes, that way you know exactly what you need to improve on in terms of memorising key facts. Hope this helps
Himynameisdaisy
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
No worries. I’m stressed too about my exams, just try your best and you’ll be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34.14%
No (490)
65.86%

Watched Threads