A Level Art? Watch

kannmnn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’m in year 11 and thinking about doing a level art. I’m doing reasonably well at gcse (hoping for a 7) but I’m not sure if I should do it.
If I took a level art, my options would probably look like:
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Art
As you can see, art kinda sticks out and that’s because I don’t really see myself in an art related degree or career (but who knows that could change in 2 years). I just don’t want to be stuck in a stuffy classroom and the atmosphere of the art department at my sixth form is great- I get on with the teacher really well and even though it’s obviously a lot of work, it would be a ‘break’ I guess.
Anyone who does or has done a level art: how time consuming was it compared to gcse and was it worth it? Also do you (or do you plan to) take it further and use it in later life and if so how?
Any advice would be appreciated
Plymouth College Of Art
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey there!

From my experience, the art-based A Levels that I took did have a lot of coursework, but courses like Maths also have a lot of work in terms of revision. It's also worth noting that it depends on the exam board. Perhaps talk to the tutors about whether they think you'd be able to handle the workload?

Hope this helps,
Harriet
Second Year BA(Hons) Photography Student and Student Ambassador
kannmnn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi
Thanks for the advice I’ll definitely talk to my teachers about it
(Original post by Plymouth College Of Art)
Hey there!

From my experience, the art-based A Levels that I took did have a lot of coursework, but courses like Maths also have a lot of work in terms of revision. It's also worth noting that it depends on the exam board. Perhaps talk to the tutors about whether they think you'd be able to handle the workload?

Hope this helps,
Harriet
Plymouth College Of Art
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No worries!

Good luck with your A Levels!

Best,
Harriet
Zabidoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Apparantly the first yr of art doesn't count towards any grade...it's kinda like a mock so u know what to do in yr 13 which is the exam

I don't know if I want to pick it but I love art...I think i might get a 5 but hoping for a 6...

The reason I want to choose it is cuz I've learnt from the mistakes I made in yr 10 (and kinda yr 11...a bit) so I'm hoping to get a better grade...

I'm indecisive between: art, maths, sociology and law...
I want to be a primary school teacher tho
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.58%
The paper was reasonable (390)
46.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.56%
It was TERRIBLE (108)
12.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed