The Student Room Group

Shoukd Easter be abolished?

It's odd for it not get a mention anywhere, everybody enjoying the break but not a word on the celebration of Christ's resurrection justifying it. Sign of the times, a century from now there will be even fewer people sparing a thought for it. I'm not religious.

It's no small question, either Christ was resurrected or he wasn't. If he was, that is something we should all be thinking about. If he wasn't, why has it always been celebrated and should we carry on with the tradition? Would all disbelievers be happy to have Easter abolished?
(edited 5 years ago)
How would we go about abolishing Easter?
The practices are pretty much entirely detached from the religious tradition that the celebration originates from, so abolishing it just to make some vague point about Christ's resurrection would be unwarranted.
Reply 3
Why would we abolish Easter?
It's a chance for students to revise, Christians to commemorate Jesus and families to go on holidays.
I'm not religious.
Reply 4
Are you sure you're not religious? Because you just referred to people as disbelievers- only monotheists would say that. Are you Christian?
Original post by z-hog
It's odd for it not get a mention anywhere, everybody enjoying the break but not a word on the celebration of Christ's resurrection justifying it. Sign of the times, a century from now there will be even fewer people sparing a thought for it. I'm not religious.

It's no small question, either Christ was resurrected or he wasn't. If he was, that is something we should all be thinking about. If he wasn't, why has it always been celebrated and should we carry on with the tradition? Would all disbelievers be happy to have Easter abolished?
Original post by z-hog

A lot of Christians went to Easter Sunday mass today. Britain is rooted in Christian tradition/is a Christian country, hence it is British tradition, what reason do we have to abolish it?

'either Christ was resurrect of he wasn't', yeah well done on acknowledging the conflict that has been occurring between people for centuries, what was the purpose of this?

Why would we want to abolish Easter? Holiday, easter eggs and a time for the family to come together - what exactly is your problem?
Another one of these threads. :rolleyes:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
We're celebrating the start of life by eating life-giving high calorie representations of eggs and an animal that is very famous for having sex and multiplying. There's no need for it to be religious, and it's a decent excuse to have some bank holidays.
Original post by Obolinda
Another one of these threads

I like that TSR manages to provide a thread for every holiday.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I like that TSR manages to provide a thread for every holiday.

Yeah. Except depending on the religious attachment to the holiday, some threads last longer than others.
Reply 10
Original post by Lala143
Are you sure you're not religious? Because you just referred to people as disbelievers- only monotheists would say that. Are you Christian?

It's nothing of the sort, 'disbelievers' as in people who don't believe that Christ was resurrected.
Reply 11
Original post by That'sGreat
Why would we want to abolish Easter? Holiday, easter eggs and a time for the family to come together - what exactly is your problem?

Obviously, the argument there could be is that if only a tiny minority of people celebrate Easter for what it's intended to mean we could wonder if it wouldn't be more productive for the country and the economy for everybody to just go to work. Were we to redraw the world and it wouldn't be put in, an Easter break. If nobody gives a damn about Christ's resurrection or Christmas, with so many people taking chunks out of it as they do, it looks a bit hypocritical. My fault, should have gone in the Philosophy or Religion forums but sounded like a current affair today.

I don't have a problem, it's more like... shouldn't some people have a problem with the celebration of Easter. Never mind the excuses to ignore the religious origin of the practice, as if it that meant nothing. Tim Farron and Rees-Mogg are two practical examples of public regard for the Church these days, why are we still celebrating religious events? All the pro-choice camp, how can they go on holiday in peace thanks to an institution they despise and would close down if possible? Gay people, I'd perfectly understand one refusing to take the time off. Honest.

It's that lack of intellectual consistency and material abandonment that makes it look a bit hypocritical. Society is flushing Christianity out of public life, at some point we might consider to stop celebrating something that so many people regard as not worth celebrating at all. Nah, we'll keep the hols...
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending